American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials
The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials is currently hiring a Meeting Planner, a full-time position located in our Washington, DC office.
Nature of Position:
The Meeting Planner will work to manage assigned meetings, workshops and training sessions under the direction of the Director of Meetings. The meeting planner must execute a variety of responsibilities, including but not limited to, items noted below:
- Create requests for proposals (RFPs) for potential meeting hotel/venue location and distribute their results. Attend site visits as needed. Work with the Meetings and Member Services division, staff leads for respective meetings, and other stakeholders to solicit feedback when developing requests for proposals, and to make recommendations regarding venue locations based on RFP responses and meeting needs.
- Negotiate all meeting and event contracts for assigned meetings.
- Build registration for meetings as needed, assisting with online registrations and housing, and providing support to attendees and staff leads as needed. Provide weekly and final registration reports to the Director of Meetings and Member Service.
- Prepare draft meeting budgets, expenses and financials for all assigned meeting-related activities for review and approval by the Director of Meetings and Member Services.
- Coordinate with the sponsorship managers to ensure all sponsorship details are readily available and communicated to all stakeholders throughout the meeting planning process.
- In coordination with the staff leads responsible for respective meetings, plan all aspects of event execution including meeting room set up, food and beverage planning, off-site events; seeking direction from the Director of Meetings and Member Services as needed. Responsible for ensuring all pre-meeting materials and arrangements such as name badges, tent signs, meeting signage, speaker information, and rooming lists are prepared accurately, and assisting with its completion as needed.
- Coordinate, as needed, with assigned Publication division staff on the production of marketing materials.
- Manage on-site logistics, serving as primary contact to hotel, staff leads responsible for respective meetings, host state volunteers, and attendees with meeting-related logistical questions. Responsible for tracking budget costs carefully and keeping Director of Meetings and Member Services informed appropriately.
A successful candidate will have three to five years in meeting or hotel conference service. The incumbent must have experience multi-tasking and working in a fast-paced environment to plan events and make logistical arrangements for individuals and groups, with responsibility for tracking and managing multiple projects at once. A Bachelor’s degree is preferred with a concentration in business or hospitality management desired, though equivalent experience may substitute.
The candidate must have excellent written, speaking, and presentation skills; a self-starter with strong time management skills; ability to plan, organize, and support staff and association programs; strong computer competence particularly in Microsoft Suites; and working knowledge of CVENT. In addition, a successful candidate should be adept at working with changing schedules and have experience communicating with diplomacy and tact.
Experience in a non-profit organization or member association is desired, as well as a familiarity with federal grant requirements and compliance.
Candidates must also have the ability to travel regularly and work non-standard business hours as needed to support AASHTO meetings. In addition, light lifting, bending, and reaching may be required.
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 9th, 2022.
Who We Are:
AASHTO is a nonprofit, nonpartisan association representing transportation departments in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. We represent all transportation modes including: air, highways, public transportation, active transportation, rail, and water. Our goal is to foster the development, operation, and maintenance of an integrated national transportation system that is safe and efficient for every individual. We strive to educate the public and key decision makers about the critical role that transportation plays in securing a good quality of life and sound economy for our nation.
The culture displayed at AASHTO is one of inclusiveness. AASHTO fosters a supportive working environment for staff and focuses on both the professional and personal successes of employees. Additionally, employees benefit from a collective workplace that genuinely cares about them and what they do.
Perks and Benefits:
This position would primarily report out of our Washington, DC office located in Metro Center. AASHTO offers employees hybrid work flexibilities and this role may be approved to work remotely up to 2-3 days per week.
Additionally, as a full-time employee, you are eligible for:
- A retirement plan with a highly competitive matching and contribution structure
- Comprehensive health insurance benefits
- A robust transit benefit
- Generous leave accrual
- Flexible work schedules and telework options
AASHTO is an equal opportunity employer. AASHTO has a COVID-vaccination policy in place which requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have an approved religious or medical accommodation.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com