C2 Essentials (posting on behalf of SAIPRC)
SAIPRC is seeking a Senior Transportation Analyst for our growing and highly productive team. We seek candidates with outstanding analytical and communications skills, an appetite for responsibility, and a strong commitment to improving U.S. passenger rail. We offer competitive pay and benefits, flexibility including hybrid (in-office and remote) schedules, and an opportunity to engage with passenger rail decisionmakers in a trusted and highly visible role.
The State-Amtrak Intercity Passenger Rail Committee (SAIPRC) is a multi-agency body comprising representatives from Amtrak, the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), and 20 agencies from 17 States. SAIPRC’s staff is a small and growing team of highly motivated transportation professionals whose mission is to improve passenger rail service across the United States. Our focus is on the 28 State-supported rail services that connect major city pairs—like Los Angeles and San Diego, Seattle and Portland, Chicago and St. Louis, Washington and Charlotte, New York and Toronto, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, plus many more—and carry approximately half of all Amtrak riders nationwide.
Congress created SAIPRC and tasked it with overseeing how States make payments to Amtrak for their services; facilitating collaboration in areas like marketing, rolling stock planning, and reducing delays; and improving the data SAIPRC members use to make business decisions.
The Senior Transportation Analyst will support SAIPRC members by conducting data analysis, writing and designing reports, and responding to inquiries from staff at State departments of transportation and rail authorities. A large portion of the selected candidate’s portfolio will include implementing and continuously improving the SAIPRC Operating-Cost Model, a database-driven process used to determine the States’ financial obligations. As part of this work, the selected candidate will support the Model’s technical development and, by coordinating with States and Amtrak, will be critical in ensuring the Committee formally approves the Model’s results—one of the most important elements of SAIPRC’s annual work plan.
All applicants should be familiar with basic transportation planning principles and passionate about growing U.S. passenger rail.
The successful candidate(s) will work with management-level staff at State agencies, access a broad range of data sources that transportation providers depend on, and learn how passenger rail is planned, operated, marketed, and funded. Specific tasks may include:
· Developing data streams, workflows, and analyses to process and interpret financial and performance data
· Developing analyses and models to forecast the effects of potential policy changes
· Preparing analyses of ridership, revenue, and other performance metrics
· Administering an online analytics platform; providing support and documentation to users
· Preparing and delivering presentations to high-level staff at Amtrak, FRA, and State rail agencies
· Leading meetings and managing working groups or task forces comprised of staff at agencies throughout the U.S.
· Preparing reports, plans, and reference materials for internal and external audiences (including media outlets, congressional committees, and the public)
· Assisting staff at State rail agencies in accessing and analyzing financial and customer data
· Generating content for SAIPRC’s website and external reports
· Assisting in planning and coordinating SAIPRC quarterly meetings
· Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Civil Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Urban Planning, Economics, Finance, Mathematics, Data Science, or a related field
· Excellent written and verbal communication
· 2-6 years’ experience working with financial or transportation-related data
· Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel; experience with querying relational databases
· Successful experience presenting complex, technical material to a broad audience
· Proven ability to create clear, compelling visuals, including charts, graphs, and tables
· Comfort presenting information to external stakeholders
· Experience manipulating data using statistical software (e.g., R, Stata, SPSS, etc.) or a programming language (Python, Ruby, etc.)
· Experience with a Business Intelligence platform (Tableau, Power BI, Zoho Analytics)
· Familiarity with Amtrak and federal passenger rail policy
· Exposure to accounting or financial principles or transportation operating-cost data
Location and Travel
SAIPRC currently has small, in-person offices in New York, NY, and Washington, DC. A hybrid schedule will be available; fully remote work may be considered for an outstanding candidate.
Some preference will be given to candidates who can commute to the New York City or Washington offices, but candidates from anywhere in the United States are encouraged to apply.
This role may require periodic travel (2-4 times per year) to SAIPRC quarterly meetings and other Committee activities.
Salary will be $79,000 to $125,000 depending on experience, location, and other factors. SAIPRC also offers a competitive benefits package.
How to Apply
Email a resume and a cover letter to careers[at]saiprc.com. In your cover letter, describe why you are interested in working with SAIPRC, your strengths, and how your skills and experience will support SAIPRC’s goals. Applications should be submitted by February 16, 2024, but may be accepted on a rolling basis after this date.
***** ***** ***** ***** *****
SAIPRC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all to apply and do not discriminate against candidates based on personal characteristics protected by law—including but not limited to age, color/race, disability, gender and gender identity, marital or partnership status, national origin, religion/creed, salary history, sexual and reproductive health decisions, sexual orientation, status as a veteran or active military service member, status of a victim (or family member of a victim) of domestic violence a sexual offense or stalking, and unemployment status.
To apply for this job email your details to careers@SAIPRC.com