City of Minneapolis
Support the Public Works Department by providing leadership, high level management and related support as a Finance liaison with multi millions in annual appropriations.
This position may be eligible for flexible work arrangements, including hybrid work with some days working remotely and some days working in the office.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Function as lead PW employee in development on procedures to support financial decision making.
• Report regularly on current, financial issues and develop understanding of financial needs of the department.
• Monitor and report on current and forecasted revenues and expenditures.
• Provide financial planning and analysis that helps inform the decision making process (i.e., annual budget process) for Department Head, Budget Director, the Mayor and City Council.
• Provide accounting, budget, financial planning and analysis services to Public Works.
• Provide leadership to staff, including professional development, training and team building.
• Assist with the preparation of various financial reports, including the annual financial statement.
• Meet regularly with the Controller, Budget Director, and Finance Officer to report on key finance issues in Public Works, including financial conditions and status of financial issues.
• Identify and articulate accounting and budget process improvements.
• Assist with establishing a citywide management-reporting model for the City that includes both short-term and long-term financial projections and planning.
• Maintain a strong understanding of the overall financial goals of the City and help to educate staff on these goals; maintain strong knowledge of the operations of City departments and the budget process.
Typical office environment
Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting, Business Administration, or a closely related field.
Five (5) years of progressively responsible government accounting, budgeting and financial planning experience.
The selection process will consist of one or more of the following steps: a rating of relevant education and experience and/or an oral examination (100%). It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. This information will be used to determine which candidates will proceed in the selection process. A submitted application is also used to verify the answers to any supplemental questions. Only those candidates who attain a passing score (70%) on each step in the selection process will be placed on the eligible list. The City of Minneapolis Human Resources Department reserves the right to limit the number in any phase of the selection process.
The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be further considered for the position.
This position is not represented by a labor unit. View Civil Service Rules for non-represented terms and conditions of employment
Eligible List Statement
The names of applicants who meet minimum qualification and who pass the screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for employment consideration. This list will be certified to the hiring manager who may use the list to fill a vacancy of the same job title. This eligible list will expire upon hire.
The hiring authority reserves the right to determine the maximum number of candidates to interview from the established eligible list. If the hiring authority decides to interview other than by exam score order, they may select additional people to interview based on a candidate’s education or experience related to the field, work history, or skills uniquely related to the operational needs of the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of governmental and cost accounting and budgeting procedures.
• Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of financial administration.
• Thorough knowledge of administrative and management techniques.
• Considerable of Public Works functions, policies, practices and procedures.
• Good computer skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, analytical skills, creative skills, problem solving skills, decision making skills and leadership skills.
Director, Administration Public Works
As the largest and most vibrant city in the state, Minneapolis depends on purposeful, dedicated and innovative employees. Minneapolis has a large variety of careers for people of all experiences and backgrounds who come together for a singular purpose—serving the residents, businesses and visitors of Minneapolis.
The City of Minneapolis is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com