NC Department of Transportation
How to Apply
You must apply at https://tinyurl.com/2m4h4kt5 by November 28, 2022 at midnight EST to be considered.
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don’t take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 200+ reviews.
We are looking for an experienced bridge inspector to be our Pender county team leader of a 2-man bridge safety inspection team to inspect all types of highway structures, including bridges, culverts, large pipes and walkways, and measurement of sign clearances.
In this role you will
- Take precise measurements on structures to detect any movement, deterioration, and/or damage to structural members.
- Document deficiencies.
- Write detailed structure inspection reports documenting all findings necessary for use in our asset management program that includes determining structural integrity and safety of State highway structures.
- Assist our Team Leader performing in-depth inspections on bridges, light standards, culverts, pipes, sign supports & overhead walkways, and preparing reports detailing conditions found during the inspections. These reports are used in an evaluation process to determine structural integrity and capability to support loads imposed on them by the traveling public and/or natural forces.
- Train new inspectors.
- Schedule and plan team activities in conformance with bridge priorities.
What You Bring
- Computer skills in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience with structure plan reading.
- Experience with bridge inspection equipment, i.e. Hydra Platforms, Man Lifts, Snooper Trucks or Boats.
- Skills using digital cameras, tape measures, hammers, and ladders.
- Drafting, sketching, and report writing skills.
- Ability to drive a state vehicle and/or drive alone.
- Able to work in hazardous conditions, such as in traffic congestion, on slopes, climbing high steel, working in confined areas, working above water, or a snooper crane at considerable heights.
- Ability to work outdoors at considerable heights and slopes with possible exposure to snakes, spiders, insects, and poisonous plants.
Education & Experience
Associate’s degree in Civil Engineering Technology; or
High school/GED diploma, and
2+ years experience in the inspection, construction, design or maintenance of major steel or concrete bridges or other structures;
An equivalent combination of training and directly related experience.
Candidates with bridge safety inspection experience.
Call me: Lindsey McLamb at (919) 707-6400.
Connect to NCDOT Careers on
See all NCDOT jobs at: https://bit.ly/ncdotjobs