How to Apply
You MUST apply at https://tinyurl.com/mrwrsbt3 by Feb 14.
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don’t take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork. We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 270+ reviews.
NEW HIGHER SALARY: $65,876 – $115,283
We are looking for a senior engineer to join serve as our Division Utility Engineer for NCDOT Division 8.
In this role, you will:
- Oversee and manage all Division 8 utility coordination and relocations.
- Serve as liaison between Private Engineering Firms and the NCDOT Design team to oversee the Preliminary Engineering of Utility Conflicts/Relocations and correspond with Division Utility Coordinators/Utility Companies during Right of Way Acquisition to relocate utilities efficiently and effectively at the earliest possible time to eliminated/reduce delays and contractor claims.
- Implement advanced engineering criteria and innovative construction methods while adhering to applicable environmental regulations and roadway design standards to support relocation and placement of utilities along highway right of way and proposed corridors to effectively manage and coordinate major project development efforts.
- Manage NCDOT and contractors’ staff to determine utility conflicts.
- Engineer utility relocations.
- Oversee utilities relocations prior to contracted highway construction for all Division 8-managed and PMU highway projects.
- Oversee investigations and analysis of utility facilities.
- Design and engineer utility relocations.
- Assure adherence to utility relocation schedules.
- Develop contract documents and estimates.
- Authorize utility company relocations.
- Review utility plans prepared by others and provide engineering opinions and assistance on utility installations.
- Conduct field inspection for data verification.
- Oversee scoping and review work performed by consulting engineers.
- Consult with interdepartmental teams and utility owners.
What You Bring
- Experience developing utility relocation strategies, providing coordination, and relocation services to accomplish removal, relocation, and modification of utility facilities (water, sewer, gas, electric, telecommunication, etc.) impacted by highway improvement projects including the development of Utility Relocation Agreements and acquiring Encroachment Agreements from utility owners.
Working knowledge of all policies, regulations, and engineering standards by Federal Highway Administration, US DOT and NCDOT, and NC general statutes related to utility relocations.
- Knowledge of innovative construction methods while adhering to all environmental regulations and roadway design standards.
- Working knowledge of Civil Engineering, particularly fluid mechanics, water resources, highway design, soil mechanics, and statistics.
- Experience planning and coordinating project work.
- Ability to negotiate and develop contract documents for highway projects, engineering services, and utility owner agreements.
- Basic computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access), online databases (e.g., SAP) and CADD (MicroStation, GEOPAK).
- Working knowledge of NCDOT policies for accommodating utilities and NCDEQ regulations for water and sewer design.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to train and provide technical assistance to others,
- Solid communications skills to give clear instructions and directions to NCDOT and utility company staff and consultants about utility/highway matters.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in engineering, and
4+ years of relevant experience; or
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- We may require you to be registered as a professional engineer by the NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
- Travel to field sites for meetings and investigations with occasional overnight travel is required.
Call me: Jackie Phillips at 910-773-8028.
Connect to NCDOT Careers: https://linkedin.com/in/ncdot-careers
See all NCDOT jobs at: https://bit.ly/NCDOTJobs