NC Department of Transportation
How to Apply
You MUST apply at https://tinyurl.com/4fcamxec by June 2, 2023 at midnight EST.
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don’t take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 250+ reviews.
NEW HIGHER PAY: $32,460 – $56,806
We are looking for an experienced transportation worker to join our Wayne County Maintenance team to lead a wide range of progressively responsible maintenance tasks in the preventive maintenance, repair and construction of NC- maintained roads.
In this role, you will:
- Set up work zones and installing traffic control devices.
- Repair asphalt pavements and clear right of way of debris and hazards.
- Assist with pipe installation.
- Operate hand and power tools and other equipment including an asphalt maintainer, asphalt patch truck, tandem dump truck, crack sealing machine, rollers, sweepers, skid steer, and backhoe.
- Monitor work done by inmates and other transportation workers.
- Respond to emergencies such as snow and ice removal, downed trees, and traffic control cleanup during normal business hours, during emergency call back situations, and for scheduled night work.
- Perform manual labor including operating chain saws, shoveling, driving trucks, and doing litter pickup.
- Train on and sometimes operate equipment associated with the transportation worker IV specialist level.
What You Bring
- Knowledge of Intermediate Work Zone Safety and NCDOT Workplace Safety policy and practices.
- Experience in 1+ of the following: shoulder and ditch maintenance, pipe installation, or asphalt patching
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and train others in equipment operations and direct daily work crew activities.
- Experience in snow and ice removal operations.
- Experience in the operation 2+ pieces of the following equipment: backhoe, tandem dump truck, motor grader, front end loader, forklift, force feed loader, asphalt distributor, asphalt patcher, crack sealing machine, track excavators, skid steer, or sweeper.
- Working knowledge of the principals used in the operation and use of the transportation work equipment.
- Ability to perform assigned tasks and to follow verbal and written instructions as directed by your supervisor.
- Strength to repeatedly lift up to 50 pounds.
- Agility to climb, bend, transverse steep and uneven terrain, and work in extreme temperature conditions.
- A current Commercial Driver’s License. (Note: If you don’t have one, don’t worry. You can get it through our on-the-job training program within 360 days of the date of hire.)
We may require work during nontraditional work hours including nights, weekends, and holidays.
This position is subject to emergency call backs.
Safety toe footwear required.
Education & Experience
High school/GED diploma, and
5+ years of relevant experience; or
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Call me: Melissa Newcomb at 252-640-6400.
Connect to NCDOT Careers: https://linkedin.com/in/ncdot-careers
See all NCDOT jobs at: https://bit.ly/ncdotjobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org