NC Department of Transportation
How to Apply
You MUST apply at https://tinyurl.com/2fb2jmfy by September 30, 2022 at midnight EST to be considered.
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don’t take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 200+ reviews.
NEW HIGHER SALARY: $64,270 – $112,472
We are looking for a Broadband Engineer to join our Utilities team that facilitates and manages utilities relocations, adjustments, removals, and additions along highways and rights of way while preserving the integrity of the highway system and ensuring the safety of its users. Our Utilities team are the subject matter experts on utilities within state rights of way.
Within our Utilities team, our Encroachments team:
- Supports our statewide encroachment process for new installations within NCDOT maintained Rights of Way (ROW) (including Broadband providers)
- Coordinates activities for Broadband efforts in NCDOT ROW in collaboration with the NCDIT Broadband office
- Provides input to field office
- Manages reviews of specialized utility encroachments
- Interprets policy and engineering principles related to encroachments
In this role you will:
- Facilitate the broadband and wireless infrastructure and alternative uses of NCDOT right of way initiatives statewide.
- Conduct complex engineering evaluations, planning, designs, reviews, approvals, and/or determination of environmental/safety impacts of work processes and highway systems, NCDOT projects, mapping, and/or highway assets related to broadband and wireless infrastructures and alternative uses (such as solar, Electric Vehicle charging, wind, and roadside environmental).
- Consult with other State agencies, oversee initiatives of the Consolidated Appropriations Act (MOBILE NOW Act) with other statewide telecommunication/broadband plans and State/local transportation and land use plans.
- Provide support to NCDOT field offices dealing with broadband and wireless communication providers in NCDOT ROW, and collaboration with other NCDOT business units related to NCDOT telecommunication assets as well as processes for alternative uses in ROW.
- Coordinate reviews, implementation, and approval of NCDOT broadband projects/plans and alternative uses of right of way according to codes, policies, and regulations.
- Provide project management input related to NCDOT installation of broadband infrastructure and alternative uses of ROW in applicable Federal-aid highway projects, ensuring that any existing broadband infrastructure entities are not disadvantaged.
- Review and recommend responses to unsolicited proposals for broadband deployment in NCDOT ROW assuring compliance with NCDOT policies and procedures.
- Support our registration process for broadband/wireless infrastructure entities seeking deployments in NC.
- Collaborate with NCDIT’s electronic notification system for broadband infrastructure entities identified in NCDOT projects of the State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP).
- Provide technical expertise, report developments, and recommend processes, resources, products and/or policies to senior NCDOT leadership and other business units related to continuously changing technologies surrounding broadband/wireless deployments and alternative ROW uses, including autonomous vehicles and EV charging.
- Perform reviews for complex/new technologies involving telecommunication and alternative uses of ROW encroachments as appropriate and provide best practices and training for telecommunication providers submitting encroachments to NCDOT.
- Work independently using your professional knowledge of complex detailed technical procedures.
- Maintain considerable public contact to explain standards, regulations, and technical assistance.
- Negotiate to determine project implementation feasibilities.
- Participate and lead (as needed) in the development of long-range strategic goals related to broadband and telecommunications needs applicable to NCDOT.
What You Bring
- Computer skills using CADD, ArcGIS maps/apps, Microsoft Office (SharePoint, Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) to access and manipulate data, applications, documents, and design plans.
- Experience reviewing engineering plans and scopes of program/project specifications for completeness, compatibility, constructability, and compliance with engineering principles, standards, codes, and design needs.
- Experience independently determining priorities, processes, and procedures while exercising a wide range of decision-making, analytical thinking, and judgment to resolve/approve major project/program changes and/or conflicting design constraints.
- Excellent communications skills to convey complex technical information verbally and in writing in a clear, concise, and organized manner, with the skills to modify your delivery based on the audiences’ knowledge base.
- Proven work experience as a project engineer/manager with thorough knowledge and understanding of engineering concepts, practices, and theories used in the transportation engineering and telecommunication engineering.
- Thorough knowledge of NCDOT organizational structure, planning processes, project processes, and/or permitting processes in NCDOT ROW.
Candidates with experience performing reviews of encroachments and/or utility relocations and utility design for NCDOT projects is considered a plus.
We may require registration as a professional engineer by the NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
Education & Experience
Bachelors Degree in engineering, and
4+ years of relevant experience; or
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Call me: Yolanda Cooper at 919-707-7194.
Connect to NCDOT Careers at
See all NCDOT jobs at: https://bit.ly/ncdotjobs