NC Department of Transportation
How to Apply
You MUST apply at https://tinyurl.com/y4vbks8y by May 26, 2023 at midnight EST.
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don’t take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 240+ reviews.
NEW HIGHER SALARY: $65,876 – $115,283
We are looking for a senior engineer to join our Roadway Design team that produces and reviews roadway design plans, lighting, and electrical plans, and provides technical expertise to internal and external partners.
In this role, you will:
- Research local, state, and national roadway design guidance and practices.
- Analyze research, especially as it compares to current NCDOT design guidance and practices, and assist in the development of technical reports sharing research findings.
- Assist our Team Lead with making recommendations to the team and NCDOT leadership on updates to design guidance and practices.
- Lead efforts to respond to roadway design-related inquiries from internal and external customers.
- Help in coordination with Roadway Design staff, other technical disciplines, divisions, and private engineering firms as a part of ongoing maintenance of roadway design guidance such as the Roadway Design Manual.
- Assist our Team Lead in the NCDOT transition to Bentley OpenRoads Designer (ORD) by organizing efforts of multidisciplinary teams vetting the software, leading meetings, and updating documentation on the progress.
- Develop roadway design plans and calculation of quantities, as needed.
- Assist in the development of training materials on roadway design guidance and best practices.
- Assist our Team Lead with identification of professional development needs/opportunities.
- Provide training to junior engineers, Transportation Engineering Associates, and interns.
What You Bring
- Experience in the development and review of roadway design plans and details to determine compliance and compatibility with construction and engineering principles and maintenance standards, codes, designs, and statutes.
- Thorough knowledge of civil engineering principles (especially as it relates to highway design), AASHTO guidance, NCDOT Roadway Design Manual, Bridge Policy, NCDOT Standard Drawings and Specifications, and NCDOT policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Bentley highway design software and workspaces (MicroStation, GeoPak, Open Roads Designer, and Corridor Modeling).
- Experience facilitating meetings, setting project/team goals. and tracking progress of goals to ensure timely completion.
- Communication skills to, verbally and in writing, communicate technical information in an effective, clear, concise, and organized manner.
- Experience consulting with senior engineers on technical matters.
- Experience training junior engineers.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in engineering, and
4+ years of relevant experience; or
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
We may require you to be registered as a professional engineer by the NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
Call me: Jennifer Sizemore at (919) 707-6202.
Connect to NCDOT Careers: https://linkedin.com/in/ncdot-careers
See all NCDOT jobs at: https://bit.ly/ncdotjobs