NC Department of Transportation
How to Apply
You MUST apply at http://bit.ly/3F3C3lW by March 21, 2023 at midnight EST to be considered.
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don’t take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 240+ reviews.
NEW HIGHER SALARY: $37,577 – $65,760
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Technician to join our Century Center Resident Engineering team.
In this role you will
- Support senior technicians and engineers in construction inspections, surveying, materials sampling, testing, and construction traffic controls.
- Input specific project information into our HiCams system including sampling, material received (including bill of materials), pay record quantities (including ticket items), densities (including both soil and asphalt), verifying final estimate quantities and data related to work accomplished on construction projects.
- Perform a wide variety of standardized/non-standardized tests and assignments compiling, analyzing, computing, editing, and processing field data.
- Assist in the supervision of junior technicians and contractors.
- Help coordinate work assignments.
- Write diaries and reports on project operations.
- Complete material reports, document pay records, perform construction calculations, and conduct computer/iPad entry of reports/data.
- Drive or place survey stakes, operate surveying instruments, cut brush, and run tests on materials in accordance with NCDOT policies and procedures.
- Inspect roadway and bridge projects.
What You Bring
- Experience with contract administration.
- Knowledge in understanding contracts, plans, standards, and specifications.
- Experience performing inspections, samplings, and materials testing (concrete, asphalt density) to ensure compliance with NCDOT specifications.
- Computer skills using laptops/iPads and software (HiCams and SharePoint) in recordkeeping of field data.
- Strong mathematical skills.
- Proficiency in record keeping with working knowledge of pay record book entries and material received reports.
- Ability to obtain and maintain certifications required to perform material sampling and testing.
- Experience supervising activities of junior employees and instructing them in proper work methods.
- Good eyesight (glasses are ok!) to use testing instruments, read plan details, make accurate field measurements and inspect roadway/structure components.
- Ability to safely perform manual tasks using bush axes and other tools on steep slopes and rough terrain.
- Ability to work outside in various types of weather, terrain, and hours.
- Strength to perform heavy lifting.
Candidates with a Class C commercial driver’s license and the ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
You may be required to work nights, weekends, holidays, and extended hours if needed.
You may be exposed to high traffic volumes, work at heights over water or traffic, and climb on the substructure and superstructure of bridges.
Safety toe shoes are required.
Education & Experience
Associates Degree in Civil Engineering, Survey Technology, or a related discipline, and
2+ years of technician experience; or
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Call me: Teresa Goodwin at 919-220-4600.
Connect to NCDOT Careers at https://linkedin.com/in/ncdot-careers
See all NCDOT jobs at: https://bit.ly/ncdotjobs