NC Department of Transportation
How to Apply
You MUST apply at https://tinyurl.com/2p9adsat by May 26, 2023 at midnight EST.
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don’t take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 240+ reviews.
NEW HIGHER SALARY: $65,876 – $115,283
We are looking for a Roadway Design Staff Engineer to join our team that produces and reviews roadway design plans, lighting, and electrical plans, and provides technical expertise to internal and external partners.
In this role, you will:
- Report directly to the State Roadway Design Engineer as you provide support to the Roadway Design leadership team.
- Use engineering analysis and coordinate with others to review and investigate requests from the public, news media, Board of Transportation members, FHWA, State, and local officials and recommend alternate solutions to assist the Unit Head, Director of Technical Services, and Chief Engineer.
- Attend meetings where you may be asked to represent the Roadway Design team in scheduling, planning report reviews, project design scoping, work zone safety, and new product evaluations should other Roadway Design leaders not be available.
- Assist the NCDOT Roadway Design Engineer with monitoring the operating budget and process improvement, and coordinate with the administrative assistant on notice to proceed and invoice processing.
- Prepare special engineering reports to keep management apprised of progress on sensitive projects.
- Draft letters and memos for matters/problems assigned by the Roadway Design Head or Technical Services management.
- Review prequalification packages from private engineering firms.
- Coordinate development opportunities for staff with other Units or organizations, as needed.
What You Bring
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles especially relating to highway design and AASHTO guidelines.
- Knowledge of design practices, project delivery processes, and NCDOT policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to understand, explain, and administer contracts; interpret plans, provisions, and specifications.
- Experience working cooperatively in a team environment, facilitating meetings, and developing clear and organized technical documents/presentations to be shared with a range of stakeholders.
- Experience establishing and managing priorities, developing work schedules, monitoring goal progress and schedules, and tracking data and activities.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in engineering, and
4+ years of relevant experience; or
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
We may require you to be registered as a professional engineer by the NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
Call me: Jennifer Sizemore at (919) 707-6202.
Connect to NCDOT Careers on
See all NCDOT jobs at: https://bit.ly/ncdotjobs