NC Department of Transportation
How to Apply
You MUST apply at https://tinyurl.com/2s3t89x5 by November 22, 2022 at midnight EST to be considered.
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don’t take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 200+ reviews.
NEW HIGHER SALARY: $32,460 – $56,806
We are looking for a skilled mechanic to join our Salisbury Equipment team.
In this role you will:
- Perform skilled mechanical work delivering service and repair of mechanical systems of gas- and diesel-powered automotive and heavy equipment, including
Tires and Tubes
Wheel & Rims
- Perform mechanic work at various levels of complexity depending on the type of mechanical system.
- Perform preventive maintenance and keep accurate records.
- Prepare parts orders from our parts manuals.
- Operate fuel truck.
What You Bring
- A complete set of mechanic tools.
- Experience repairing and replacing tires.
- Experience performing preventive maintenance on at least one of the following: light, medium, heavy-duty trucks, and/or heavy equipment.
- Automotive mechanic skills using at least 2 tools and pieces of equipment used in the equipment shop – such as wrenches, sockets, battery chargers, hydraulic jacks, loaders, forklifts, automotive/truck lifts, fuel service trucks, tire changers, tire balancer, welders, cutting torches, diagnostic equipment, computers, tire jacks, tire balance machines, pneumatic wrenches, diagnostic gauges, electronic testers, air impact wrenches, air compressors, air guns, and/or torque wrenches.
- Ability to diagnose/repair/maintain automotive and heavy equipment.
- Experience preparing paperwork related to employment and equipment repair.
- Ability to understand written and verbal instructions.
- Commitment to provide a safe working environment by leading by example.
- Skills to read and interpret Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) manuals. Employee will be expected to perform heavy lifting.
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License with Tanker (N) endorsement. (Note: You must either possess of a current
- Commercial Driver’s License at hire OR obtain it through on-the-job training within 360 days of hire.)
- Strength to move parts and materials used to repair and maintain equipment and lift heavy parts.
- Ability to safely operate equipment for testing purposes.
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors.
- Safety toe shoes are required.
- We will conduct a pre-employment drug test and a background check for your previous employers over the past 2 years about controlled substances/alcohol testing.
- We may require EPA certification as a Type I, II, III, or Universal technician.
- You will be working in indoor and outdoor environments, emergency situations, and inclement weather.
Education & Experience
High School/GED diploma, or
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Call me: Lisa Davenport at 336-896-2330.
Connect to NCDOT Careers at
View all NCDOT jobs at https://bit.ly/ncdotjobs