New Hampshire Department of Transportation
State of New Hampshire
Department of Transportation – Bureau of Materials & Research
5 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH
GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEER SUPERVISOR
(Civil Engineer V)
Labor Grade 30: $68,182.40 – $97,947.20
40 Hours per week
Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for education
The State of New Hampshire, Department of Transportation, Bureau of Materials & Research has a full time vacancy for a Geotechnical Engineer Supervisor (Civil Engineer V).
SUMMARY: To supervise professional geotechnical engineering staff and serve as the lead technical professional in order to provide geotechnical engineering evaluations and recommendations in the design, construction and maintenance phases of statewide NHDOT civil engineering projects.
- Provides geotechnical engineering guidance and technical reviews to a staff of civil engineers.
- Performs as the geotechnical project engineer on complex and technically difficult NHDOT projects.
- Completes geotechnical designs and evaluations using complex engineering analyses and current design codes. Writes reports and other correspondence to communicate geotechnical recommendations to other Department Bureaus and engineering consultants. Coordinates with designers and participates in meeting to ensure the proper implementation of geotechnical engineering elements.
- Prepares contract specifications for proposed geotechnical work.
- Develops and recommends technical operating procedures to the Geotechnical Section Chief.
- Reviews reports and other documents prepared by in-house engineering staff and geotechnical engineering consultants to assure that the recommendations provide for technically sound and cost effective designs.
- Meets with construction and design bureau engineers, contractors, FHWA engineers and project managers to resolve significant geotechnical issues or problems that occur during construction.
- Serves on technical committees and provides the geotechnical evaluation of foundations, earth retaining structures or other engineering systems being assessed for use on NHDOT projects.
- Conducts general administrative duties in the supervision of employees, including reviewing timesheets and leave requests, completing performance evaluations, recommending disciplinary action, interviewing and conducting training.
Education: Master’s degree from an accredited institute of higher education with a major study in engineering, or possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institute of higher education with a major study in engineering and possession of a Master of Business Administration degree from an accredited institute of higher education.
Experience: One year of work experience in civil engineering post Professional Engineer licensure.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institute of higher education with a major study in engineering.
Experience: Three years of experience in civil engineering post Professional Engineer licensure.
Education: Associate’s degree from an accredited institute of higher education with a major study in engineering or engineering technology.
Experience: Five years of work experience in civil engineering post Professional Engineer licensure.
- Must be a Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of New Hampshire or a Licensed Professional Engineer in another state and obtain licensure in NH within one year of employment. Licensure designation must be in Civil, Civil Highway, Geo Technical or Structural Engineering.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and/or have access to transportation for statewide travel. The applicant’s Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) must meet the minimum standards as established by the hiring agency.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Minimum of 12 semester hours of geotechnical engineering and/or geological courses, at either the graduate or under-graduate level.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: All accountabilities must be performed in accordance with State and Department rules and policies, including risk management, safety and environmental standards, regulations and administrative orders.
DISCLAIMER STATEMENT: The supplemental job description lists essential functions of the position and is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. An employee may be required to perform other related duties not listed on the supplemental job description provided that such duties are characteristic of that classification.
For additional information contact Dennis Herrick, Administrator, at 603-271-3151 or at Bureau42@dot.nh.gov .
Register and save a Talent Profile, complete with education, work experience and 2 references. Then Search for Job ID 22805 to submit your official State of NH on-line application.
For assistance creating your talent profile or applying online, contact Krista Robichaud, Recruitment Specialist, at 603-271-8026 or at Krista.Robichaud@dot.nh.gov .
TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org