New Hampshire Department of Transportation
State of New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Bureau of Highway Maintenance
7 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH
HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE PROJECT ENGINEER
(Civil Engineer V)
Labor Grade 30: $68,993.60-99,091.20
40 Hours per week
Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for education
The State of New Hampshire, Department of Transportation, Bureau of Highway Maintenance, has a full time vacancy for a Civil Engineer V (Highway Maintenance Project Engineer).
SUMMARY: Performs professional administrative civil engineering functions involving the Bureau of Highway Maintenance.
- Supervises, plans, coordinates and directs the design and construction of multiple complex transportation projects within Highway Maintenance to assure compliance with Department goals and requirements. Responsible for the preparation of cost estimates relative to infrastructure improvement projects statewide. Reviews and modifies, as required, plans and specifications to adapt to actual field conditions. Authorizes the use of construction/maintenance materials, equipment, and procedures necessary for the completion of various projects.
- Conducts on-site investigations, reviews alternatives, and suggests actions to public officials, department administrators and consultants for correcting problems related to Bureau of Highway Maintenance assets. Supervises the inspection of completed engineering projects to ensure compliance with agency policies and specifications. Reviews evaluations and recommended actions proposed by other administrative and engineering staff and consultants to achieve appropriate engineering and programmatic solutions to ensure compliance and agency policies and specifications.
- Communicates with the general public, abutters, contractors, and the news media to maintain good public relations, and to accomplish Bureau goals and objectives. Represents the department at public meetings and offers technical expertise while providing cooperation and coordination between state departments, engineering firms and the public.
- Performs complex administrative and engineering duties to analyze the operation of Highway Maintenance and direct future actions. Direct and supervise the development and maintenance of database files for various statewide systems such as permits, MATS, salt and sand inventory and Sponsor-a-Highway.
- Provides maintenance expertise during the project development process and performs reviews of plans and contract proposals. Consults with department and outside specialists in related fields to formulate plans and methods for the most efficient methods of construction and maintenance.
- Communicates and coordinates with NH DOS Homeland Security and Emergency Management (HSEM) and other DOT Bureaus regarding damage assessments and reimbursement for FEMA, FHWA, and U.S. Forest Service Roads for declared storm events.
- Directs, supervises and evaluates Well Technician and manages the Well Replacement program.
- Prepares and critiques proposed bureau policies and procedures and state regulations and legislation for engineering functions and projects.
Education: Master’s degree from an accredited institute of higher education with a major study in an engineering, or possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institute of higher education with a major study in an engineering and possession of a Master of Business Administration degree from an accredited institute of higher education.
Experience: One year of experience in the practice of engineering post Professional Engineer licensure.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institute of higher education with a major study in an engineering.
Experience: Three years of work experience in the practice of engineering post Professional Engineer licensure.
Education: Associate’s degree from an accredited institute of higher education with a major study in an engineering or engineering technology.
Experience: Five years of work experience in the practice of engineering post Professional Engineer licensure.
- Must be a Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of New Hampshire or a Licensed Professional Engineer in another state and obtain licensure in NH within one year of employment. Licensure designation must be in Civil, Civil Highway, Geo Technical or Structural Engineering.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and/or have access to transportation for statewide travel.
- Applicant’s Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) must meet the minimum standards as established by the hiring agency.
SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS: In-depth knowledge of construction techniques/practices.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: All accountabilities must be performed in accordance with State and Department rules and policies, including risk management, safety and environmental standards, regulations and administrative orders.
DISCLAIMER STATEMENT: The supplemental job description lists essential functions of the position and is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. An employee may be required to perform other related duties not listed on the supplemental job description provided that such duties are characteristic of that classification.
For additional information contact Caleb Dobbins, Administrator, at 603-271-2693 or at HighwayMaintenance@dot.nh.gov .
For assistance creating your talent profile or applying online, contact Krista Robichaud, Recruitment Specialist, at 603-271-8026 or at Krista.Robichaud@dot.nh.gov .
Register and save a Talent Profile at https://das.nh.gov/jobsearch/ complete with education, employment history and 2 references, then Search Jobs for Job ID 25766 to submit your official State of NH on-line application.
TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964
*See total compensation information at the bottom of the State of NH on-line job posting.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com