New Hampshire Department of Transportation
State of New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Bureau of Materials & Research
5 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH
Civil Engineer IV (Geotechnical Engineer IV)
Labor Grade 27: $60,673.60-86,444.80
40 Hours per week
Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for education
The State of New Hampshire, Department of Transportation, Bureau of Materials & Research, has a full time vacancy for a Civil Engineer IV (Geotechnical Engineer IV).
SUMMARY: To coordinate subsurface exploration activities and provide complex geotechnical engineering evaluations and analyses for the design, construction, and maintenance phases of statewide NHDOT civil engineering projects.
- Prepares engineering reports that contain geotechnical data, interpretations, evaluations, and recommendations required for the design, construction, and maintenance of roadways, bridges, building and other structures.
- Reviews in-house geotechnical engineering work and reports prepared by a staff of civil engineers, geologists and earth scientists.
- Participates in design phase project meetings to discuss geotechnical evaluations and implementation recommendations. Prepares contract specifications for proposed geotechnical work.
- Plans and supervises design phase subsurface exploration and instrumentation programs, and directs geotechnical laboratory testing as appropriate.
- Prepares and checks complex geotechnical engineering calculations for, but not limited to, slope stability of embankments and earth cuts; settlement and bearing capacity of structural foundations; lateral and axial capacity of pile, drilled shaft and mini-pile foundations; analysis of reinforced soil slopes, soil nail walls, tie back walls and MSE walls; lateral earth pressure on structures and ground improvement.
- Reviews reports and documents prepared by geotechnical engineering consultants, to assure that the recommendations provide for technically sound and cost effective designs.
- Provides geotechnical engineering support during the construction phase of Statewide civil engineering projects: to evaluate unanticipated geotechnical field conditions; to evaluate suitability of geo-materials for foundation support; to provide pile dynamic testing of driven piles; to inspect drilled shaft, mini-pile, tieback, soil nail, or other installations; to conduct monitoring through instrumentation; and to provide technical assistance in evaluating contractor claims.
- Conducts field inspections and manages field exploration programs to determine the conditions of existing pavements and their supporting structure, designs pavement structure (including base courses), computes and/or approves structure layer thickness (including pavement type and thickness), evaluates financial, life cycle impacts of various designs, and prepares formal recommendation memos consistent with current design practice.
- Assists Pavement Management Staff in the development and evaluation of engineering models for use in the Pavement Management System.
Education: Master’s degree from an accredited institute of higher education with a major study in engineering.
Experience: 4 years of post baccalaureate experience in the practice of engineering.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institute of higher education with a major study in engineering.
Experience: 6 years of post baccalaureate experience in the practice of engineering.
Education: Associate’s degree from an accredited institute of higher education with a major study in engineering or engineering technology.
Experience: 6 years of experience in the practice of engineering at a level equivalent to Civil Engineer I (or higher), plus 2 additional years of experience in a position comparable to an Engineering Technician.
- Must be a Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of New Hampshire or a Licensed Professional Engineer in another state and obtain licensure in NH within one year of employment. Licensure designation must be in Civil, Civil Highway, Geo Technical or Structural Engineering.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and/or have access to transportation for statewide travel. The applicant’s Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) must meet the minimum standards as established by the hiring agency.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: All accountabilities must be performed in accordance with State and Department rules and policies, including risk management, safety and environmental standards, regulations and administrative orders.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Minimum of nine credit hours of geotechnical engineering course work and two years of geotechnical experience.
DISCLAIMER STATEMENT: The supplemental job description lists typical examples of work and is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. An employee may be required to perform other related duties not listed on the supplemental job description provided that such duties are characteristic of that classification.
For additional information contact Dennis Herrick, Administrator, at 603-271-3151 or at Bureau42@dot.nh.gov .
Register and save a Talent Profile on-line at https://das.nh.gov/jobsearch/ complete with education, work history and 2 references. Search Jobs for Job ID 25980 to apply. Please contact Krista Robichaud, NHDOT Training & Recruitment Specialist at 603-271-8026 for assistance with the on-line application process.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com