New Hampshire Department of Transportation
State of New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Bureau of Materials & Research
5 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH
Civil Engineer VI (Geotechnical Section Chief)
Labor Grade 32: $74,568.00 – $106,787.20
40 Hours per week
Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for education
The State of New Hampshire, Department of Transportation, Bureau of Materials and Research, has a full time vacancy for a Civil Engineer VI (Geotechnical Section Chief).
SUMMARY: To provide administrative and technical supervision of professional, technical, and field personnel, in order to provide geotechnical engineering evaluations and recommendations during the design, construction, and maintenance phases of statewide civil engineering projects.
- Manages all phases of in-house geotechnical engineering work including setting work priorities, and assigning and scheduling section personnel including civil engineers, geologists, earth scientists, and field exploration staff.
- Coordinates geotechnical engineering services with design bureaus and project managers.
- Directs and administers geotechnical section work activities as needed for DOT projects. Reviews work of senior geotechnical section staff. Seals and signs design documents in conformance with Department Policy.
- Assists design engineers in the review of project plans to assess geotechnical engineering needs and identify potential subsurface conditions that could adversely impact project designs.
- Prepares section budget requests and equipment specifications.
- Prepares and administers contract documents for “on call” agreements for geotechnical professional services and for subsurface exploration technical services.
- Estimates geotechnical work effort and fee on consultant design projects. Reviews proposals and scopes of work submitted by geotechnical consultants, monitors work and approves consultant payments. Reviews geotechnical consultant engineering reports, recommending acceptance of consultant findings.
- Performs general personnel duties involving subordinate employees including: interviewing, recommending hiring, conducting job performance evaluations of work unit supervisors, and documenting and pursuing disciplinary action in coordination with the Bureau Administrator.
- Supervises and schedules training of employees to increase their level of technical expertise. Oversees training provided to DOT trainees assigned to the section.
- Writes Specifications and Special Provisions for geotechnical specialty items to be used on NH DOT projects.
Education: Master’s degree from an accredited institute of higher education with a major study in engineering, or possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institute of higher education with a major study in engineering and possession of a Master of Business Administration degree from an accredited institute of higher education.
Experience: Three years of experience in engineering post Professional Engineer licensure.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institute of higher education with a major study in engineering.
Experience: Five years of experience in engineering post Professional Engineer licensure.
Education: Associate’s degree from an accredited institute of higher education, with a major study in engineering or engineering technology.
Experience: Seven years of experience in engineering post Professional Engineer licensure.
- Must be a Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of New Hampshire or a Licensed Professional Engineer in another state and obtain licensure in NH within one year of employment. Licensure designation must be in Civil, Civil Highway, Geo Technical or Structural Engineering.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and/or have access to transportation for statewide travel.
- The applicant’s Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) must meet the minimum standards as established by the hiring agency.
DISCLAIMER STATEMENT: The supplemental job description lists typical examples of work and is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. An employee may be required to perform other related duties not listed on the supplemental job description provided that such duties are characteristic of that classification.
For additional information contact Dennis Herrick, Administrator, at 603-271-3151 or at Bureau42@dot.nh.gov .
Please register and save a Talent Profile complete with education, employment history and 2 references. Then Search Jobs for Job ID # 25027 to submit your application. Contact Krista Robichaud, NHDOT Training & Recruitment Specialist at 603-271-8026 for assistance with the on-line application process.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com