NEW JERSEY DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
POSTING #: 23-00148
TITLE: Engineering Technician Apprentice
TITLE CODE: 10119
DIVISION: Capital Program Management
UNIT: Highway and Traffic Design
WORK WEEK: 40 Hours
ISSUE DATE: 5/24/2023
CLOSING DATE: 6/14/2023
The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) is accepting applications for candidates interested in the position ofEngineering Technician Apprentice within the Division of Capital Program Management (CPM), Highway and Traffic Design, Roadway Design Group 2 â€“ Geodetic Survey and Survey Support Engineering Technician Apprentices are assigned a 40 – hour work week. Current starting salary is between $40,719 and $46,158, based on experience. Upon successful completion of the twenty – four (24) month apprenticeship program, appointees will be eligible for advancement to the title of Engineering Technician 1. As a NJ State Department, NJDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package including Health Care (medical, prescription drug, dental and vision care), Pension, Deferred Compensation, 13 paid holidays, and Benefit Leave (12 vacation days, 15 sick days and 3 administrative days).
The Division of Highway and Traffic Design is responsible for the oversight of in – house design projects, preparation of in – house roadway design contract documents, preparation of maintenance work orders, provide survey support, geodetic monument control and Departmental Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) development and support.
The Geodetic Survey and Survey Support Unit perform Statewide geodetic monumentation and control and detailed mapping for design and as – building uses for the entire Department. Geodetic Survey provides the reference framework for the survey related work which is then used in Design and other aspects of the CPM Program. Maintains and increase the density of the geodetic control network within New Jersey through GPS technology and precision leveling.
The following are responsibilities of the Geodetic Survey and Survey Support unit.
• Provide horizontal and vertical locations of existing features.
• Establish control points on scanning and Capital Program projects.
• Provide scanning for small projects (ie. small intersections, short limits), supplement scanning for larger projects, and scanning to add or recapture specific areas of projects.
• Use, maintain and research mass data collection technologies specializing in LiDAR scanning instrumentation and point cloud processing.
• Provide CADD based files/maps that can be used by other design sections in the Department.
The position is at an entry level in a survey crew. Under the direction of an Engineer Technician 4, Department of Transportation, an Apprentice will assist the survey crew in providing surveying services such as base topography, supplemental topography, limited construction layout, as – built surveys, and ROW (Right of Way) stake – outs. Survey services are requested by all Units in the Department and by other State Departments/Agencies. An Engineer Technician Apprentice will assist and perform various types of complex surveying work such as collection of field data, set up and learn and use survey equipment, perform field mark outs, and general maintenance of survey tools. They will also support design engineers by collecting field measurements as required on projects.
• Read plans, charts, tables, and maps.
• Perform basic mathematical computations in surveying and engineering activities.
• Follow directions and understand specifications, survey procedures, and plans.
• Perform basic survey tasks.
• Support the survey crew in meeting objectives by accomplishing work assignments in an accurate and timely manner. Cooperate with crew members to contribute to team goals and assignments.
• Promote safety in the field by adhering to the NJDOT Safety Manual.
• Acquire an understanding of the Department’s operations and technical procedures.
• Perform required functions and develop effective work method.
• Learn how to operate surveying instruments, testing apparatus, usage of personal computers.
• Read engineering plans, and maps.
• Be a team player.
• Maintain records and files.
Computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite. Some CADD experience is a plus.
Technical experience performing engineering tasks in the above listed tasks in the area of planning, surveying, design, inspection, investigation, operations of engineering projects.
Ability to read engineering Plans and perform mathematical calculations.
Education: High School Diploma and satisfactory completion of high school level courses in basic mathematics which shall have included completion of courses in Geometry and Algebra levels 1 and 2.
License: Appointee will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey.
Work Authorization: Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States according to the Department of Homeland Security, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations. NJDOT does not provide sponsorship or accept student/OPT program, F1 or H1B work authorization visas.
Residency: All persons newly hired on or after September 1, 2011 have one year from the date of employment to establish,
and them maintain principal residence in the State of New Jersey subject to the provisions of N.J.S.A. 52:14 – 7 (L.2011, Chapter 70), also known as the “New Jersey First Act.”
You must apply through the NJDOT website at: https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/employ/openings.shtm
Submit a complete packet by the closing date that includes the following documents:
• NJ State Application for Employment (Application and instructions can be found at link above)
• Letter of interest
• Current resume
• Copy of High School Transcript to verify completion of Geometry, Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 courses
SAME APPLICANTS: If you are under the NJ “SAME” program, you’re supporting documents (Schedule A or B letter), must be submitted along with your resume by closing date indicated above. For more information on the SAME Program visit their Website at: https://nj.gov/csc/same/overview/index.shtml ,
email: SAME@csc.nj.gov , or call CSC at (833) 691 – 0404.
Incomplete Packets: Applicants MAY NOT be considered if they fail to provide all requested documents upon initial submittal or fail to follow instructions when submitting electronically. Applicants will be selected for an interview on the basis of their application/resume.
Current State employees: Any appointments made that involve movement may result in a forfeiture of rights to any promotional lists in their former unit.
NJDOT provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email dot – firstname.lastname@example.org. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case – by – case basis.
New Jersey Is An Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com