NEW JERSEY DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
POSTING #: 23-00138
TITLE: Automotive Mechanic
TITLE CODE: 43724
DIVISION: Transportation Operations Systems & Support
UNIT: Regional Operations
WORK WEEK: 40 hours
ISSUE DATE: 5/12/2023
CLOSING DATE: 8/11/2023
NEW JERSEY DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION Public Posting
The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) is seeking applications for candidates for the position of Automotive Mechanic within the Division of Transportation Operations Systems and Support. Automotive Mechanics are assigned a 40 – hour work week. The current starting salary range is between $47,644 and $54,140, based on experience. As a NJ State Department, NJDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package including Health Care (medical, prescription drug, dental and vision care), Pension, Deferred Compensation, 13 paid holidays, and Benefit Leave (12 vacation days, 15 sick days and 3 administrative days). The standard workweek is Monday through Friday.
Garage locations are: Newark, Lodi, Lafayette, Netcong, Woodbridge, Ewing (Fernwood), Lakewood, Freehold, Bedminster, Cherry Hill, Mays Landing, and Vineland
Automotive Mechanic duties may include:
• In a garage and/or in the field, performs maintenance and repair on gasoline and diesel motor vehicles, including special purpose vehicles and associated equipment, including inspecting safety items, checking for deficiencies, tune – ups, oil changes, lubrication, filter changes, spark plug and point replacement.
• Diagnoses computerized fuel management systems, computerized ignition systems, and computerized engine timing by using highly sophisticated electronic equipment to determine and perform needed repairs.
• Repairs and adjusts electrical sensors, E.G.R. valves, and computerized electrical systems according to automotive and Federal Government Clean Air Standards.
• Repair fenders and other body parts and tightens chassis; changes and repair tires and inner tubes on cars, truck, and trailer; changes and maintains storage batteries.
• Removes, repairs, and/or replaces assemblies (engines, transmissions, axles) subassemblies (cylinder heads, oil pumps, fan belts, generators, starters, gauges) and other parts (tie rods, drag links, ball joints, brake linings, bearings) on motor vehicles and equipment.
• Uses test equipment to detect, adjust, and/or correct deficiencies on motor vehicles and equipment, including checking and adjusting headlights, caster and camber, hydrocarbon emissions, and timing and dwell.
• Diagnoses inoperative motor vehicles and equipment to determine the cause of malfunction and take corrective action.
• Repairs, rebuilds, and overhauls assemblies and subassemblies from motor vehicles and equipment, including engines (gasoline and diesel), transmission (manuals and automatic), electrical components (alternators, generators, and starters) hydraulic components (pumps), and carburetors.
• Performs adjustments on motor vehicle equipment and their assemblies to conform to maintenance manual specifications, including valves, ignition systems, brakes, and clutches.
APPOINTEES TO THIS POSITION WILL BE SUBJECT TO CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION TESTING AND
MUST PLACE HIGH ENOUGH FOR PERMANENT APPOINTMENT ON THE SUBSEQUENT EMPLOYMENT LIST.
For more information regarding this position, please refer to: http://info.csc.state.nj.us/jobspec/43724.htm
Education: Successful completion of one (1) year of training in automotive technology at an accredited community college or vocational school.
Experience: Two (2) years of experience as a mechanic in the repair and installation of motors and the maintenance and repair of motorized vehicles and equipment.
NOTE: Applicants who do not possess the required year of formal training may substitute one (1) additional year of experience as outlined above.
NOTE: An Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification in one of the following specialties from the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence may be substituted for the formal training: A – 1 Engine Repair, A – 6 Electrical/ Electronic Systems, A – 8 Engine Performance.
License and Certifications: Appointees must possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey. Appointees may also be required to possess a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and applicable endorsements for the class and type of vehicle being operated.
NOTE: Appointees in the Department of Transportation will be required to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and applicable endorsement(s) within six (6) months of appointment. The inability of a Department of Transportation employee to attain a CDL and necessary endorsements within six (6) months of hire shall constitute grounds for removal.
In accordance with Federal regulation 82:40, appointees responsible for the repair or servicing of motor vehicle air conditioners are required to possess and maintain a valid Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Technician Certification, commensurate with the type of equipment serviced, issued by the Federal Environmental Protection Agency.
In accordance with NJSA 13:20 – 47.15, appointees responsible for performing emissions inspections on diesel – powered vehicles are required to successfully complete a course of instruction on Diesel Emission Inspection provided through the Appointing Authority. Appointees may be required to successfully complete re – training.
In accordance with the New Jersey Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulation 29 CFR 1910.178(l) (1), appointees responsible for the operation of industrial trucks (powered forklifts) will be required to obtain and maintain a current certification as a Powered Industrial Truck Operator issued by the New Jersey Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Appointees may be required to successfully complete re – training.
In accordance with NJSA 13:20 – 45.16, appointees responsible for performing emissions repairs to gasoline – fueled vehicles are required to possess and maintain a current certification as an Emissions Repairer Technician.
In accordance with NJSA 13:20 – 43.17, appointees responsible for performing emissions inspections to motor vehicles are required to possess and maintain a current certification as a Motor Vehicle Emissions Inspector.
Appointees responsible for repairing or servicing motor vehicles equipped for alternate fuel are required to successfully complete training and maintain a valid Alternate Fuel Certification. Appointees who possess an ASE Certification in Alternate Fuel are considere to have met this requirement.
Affected appointees are required to maintain valid certifications, and successfully complete the re – certification processes within the timeframes mandated by statute.
Work Authorization: Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States according to the Department of Homeland Security, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations. NJDOT does not provide sponsorship or accept student OPT/CPT programs, F1 or H1B work authorization visas.
Residency: All persons hired on or after September 1, 2011 have one year from the date of appointment to establish, and then maintain, principal residence in the State of New Jersey subject to the provisions of N.J.S.A. 52:14 – 7 (P.L. 2011, c. 70), also known as the “New Jersey First Act.”
You must apply through the NJDOT website at: https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/employ/openings.shtm
Submit a complete packet by the closing date that includes the following documents:
• NJ State Application for Employment (Application and instructions can be found at link above)
• Letter of Interest
• Current resume
Incomplete Packets: Applicants MAY NOT be considered if they fail to provide all requested documents upon initial submittal or fail to follow instructions when submitting electronically. Applicants will be selected for an interview on the basis of their application/resume.
NJDOT provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email dot – firstname.lastname@example.org. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case – by – case basis.
Current State employees: Any appointments made that involve movement may result in a forfeiture of rights to any promotional lists in their former unit.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com