New Mexico Department of Transportation
$16.23 – $25.97 Hourly
$33,760 – $54,016 Annually
This position is a Pay Band EB
THIS POSTING WILL BE USED FOR ONGOING RECRUITMENT AND MAY CLOSE AT ANY TIME. APPLICANT LISTS MAY BE SCREENED MORE THAN ONCE.
Why does the job exist?
This position assists the New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) Bridge Design Unit Supervisor with preliminary field visits, preliminary design and quantification, scoping reports, and preparing and providing bridge and structural plans for various highway projects statewide.
How does it get done?
This position assists in field visits to bridge projects; determines the scope of work for various projects; prepares bridge details and plans for review and distribution; reviews shop drawings for conformance with specifications; and determines format for various and multiple drawing details.
Primary duties for this position include:
1. Assists with preliminary engineering including site visits, scoping, cost estimation, and basic engineering calculations;
2. Acquires data and information from other sections to incorporate into conceptual and final plans. Follow current approved standards for accuracy, line weights, dimensioning, fonts and formatting for all drawings. Provide drawings to reviewers and complete requested revisions in a timely fashion;
3. Assists with scoping and planning bridge and structural projects;
4. Assists with the preparation of drawings prepared using AutoCAD that accurately reflect the existing site conditions and the impact of the proposed design.
5. Reviews fabricator shop drawings for components of bridges and other structures under construction to verify accuracy and compliance with the contract documents; and
6. Performs miscellaneous bridge/structural related tasks as directed by the Design Unit Supervisor and the State Bridge Engineer.
Who are the customers?
This position serves the NMDOT districts and the public.
The ideal candidate will have:
* Basic to intermediate experience with bridge design and plan preparation.
* A familiarity with and adherence to procedures for shop drawing approval.
* Some knowledge of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.
* A willingness to learn and be a proactive self-learner.
* Strong teamwork and work ethic qualities.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills.
High School Diploma or equivalent and two (2) years of relevant experience. Substitutions Apply. See Substitution Table below.
These combinations of education and experience qualify you for the position:
High School Diploma or Equivalent
2 years of experience
Associate’s degree or higher (Bachelor’s, Master’s)
0 years of experience
• Education and years of experience must be related to the purpose of the position.
• If Minimum Qualification requires a specific number of “semester hours” in a field (e.g. 6 semester hours in Accounting), applicants MUST have those semester hours in order to meet the minimum qualifications. No substitutions apply for semester hours.
Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License. Employment requires successful completion of a pre-employment physical exam and is conditional pending results. Business reference check and driver’s license verification are required and employment is conditional pending results. May require Technician Training Certification Program (TTCP) certificates within one year of hire to include but not limited to; Nuclear Densometer, Concrete Field and Lab Testing, Aggregate, Soils, Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA), Traffic Control and SWPPP.
State of New Mexico employees may be impacted by the Public Health Order dated December 19, 2022, which requires facilities licensed or certified by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (“CMS”), including all hospital types, long-term care facilities, nursing homes, hospice facilities and rehabilitation facilities, as well as assisted living facilities and adult day care settings, to adhere to all COVID-related requirements prescribed by CMS, including, but not limited to masking and staff vaccination.
Work is performed primarily in the field in varying weather conditions, including heat, cold, humidity, wind, rain and snow. May include exposure to: sunlight, dust, pollen, chemicals, rough/rugged terrain, insects and reptiles, noxious plants and infected trash; moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, toxic fumes/chemicals and/or airborne particles, hazardous chemicals, high speed/high volume traffic and loud noises, and confined spaces; falls and bruises, considerable physical strain; standing for extended periods of time doing traffic control or walking long distances. Hand dexterity required for some duties; numerous specific vision abilities to include: close, distance, color and peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus; some climbing, reaching, kneeling and crawling to perform job duties; ability to lift up to 50 pounds. Work may also be performed in an office setting with exposure to visual/Video Display Terminal (VDT) and extensive personal computer and telephone usage to include working with faxes, copiers and printers. May be required to work irregular hours and is subject to call outs for emergencies. Willingness to accept change of geographical assignments. Interaction with the public by phone and in person. Frequent temporary assignments that require travel and extended overnight stays to include weekends, holidays, and overtime are required.
Do you know what Total Compensation is? http://www.spo.state.nm.us/total-compensation.aspx
Agency Contact Information: William Kessler (505) 629-3622
For information on Statutory Requirements for this position, click the Classification Description link on the job advertisement.
Bargaining Unit Position
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement and all terms/conditions of that agreement apply and must be adhered to.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org