Associate in Engineering 1 – Field Construction Designer
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Region 1
Field Construction Office / Crew 1823
We are hiring a field construction designer! In this position, you will ensure accuracy for field design of transportation projects, perform various engineering calculations and provide efficiency for payment and project acceptance. Apply today!
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
Our first application screening is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Thursday, March 23, 2023. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying. If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
· Assemble project information to include but not limited to control network, alignment, horizontal and vertical data, local property surveys and deeds, existing topography, mapping, location design data, and utility mapping.
· Review and follow up on preliminary plans with respect to the survey specification.
· Perform complex CADD duties for construction projects using a CADD workstation.
· Prepare geometric design to include intersections, detours, accesses, stockpiles and roadway alignments.
· Interpret contract documents for construction projects of all degrees of complexity.
· Monitor project safety procedures and methods.
· Perform quantity calculations and prepare cost estimates for contracts, claims and monthly pay estimates.
· Prepare daily progress reports that report on compliance, noncompliance, and deviations.
· Maintain current certification in traffic signal, HMAC, drilled shaft, traffic control, bridge, erosion control, and general construction inspection.
· Work is performed 50% outdoors and may need to lift up to 50 pounds.
· May need to be available after hours, on weekends and holidays for emergency, on-call and weather-related purposes.
· To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
· Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
· Live, work and play in Portland, Oregon!
What we need:
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
A bachelor’s degree in civil or transportation-related engineering.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
· Experience applying knowledge of mathematics, survey concepts, engineering and construction practices and procedures.
· Experience interpreting construction plans and specifications.
· Experience in construction and contract administration.
· Experience using CADD for engineering projects.
Learn more and apply:
Our first application screening is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Thursday, March 23, 2023.
We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
For questions, call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.