Transportation Maintenance Specialist 2 – Transport Driver (Underfill Option)
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Maintenance & Operations Branch
Fleet Services / Transport Services Team
Salary Range: $3,265 – $4,913
Join our team as a transport driver! In this role, you will primarily operate under bridge inspection cranes that inspect and repair bridges to maintain their safety to the public. You will also operate transport vehicles to deliver equipment and supplies statewide. This position plays a vital part in the overall success of the maintenance and operations branch and helps ensure safety on Oregon’s highways and bridges. Apply today!
Our first application screening is scheduled for 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, October 5, 2023. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
The goal of this recruitment is to fill this position at a transportation maintenance specialist 2 level. However, we encourage candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for a transportation maintenance specialist 1 ($3,022 – $4,465) to apply, as we may consider underfilling the position until the selected candidate meets the minimum qualifications for a transportation maintenance specialist 2. Underfill training will not exceed three years.
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
A day in the life:
· Safely operate under bridge crane inspection equipment.
· Operate a wide variety of heavy duty long-haul transportation equipment, such as semi-tractor/trailer combinations throughout of the state.
· Operate semi-trucks and other large vehicles to transport goods throughout the state.
· Prepare job site for scheduled work and perform maintenance and inspections of equipment.
· Verify compliance with safety protocols at work sites.
· Operate specialized equipment such as forklifts, auger trucks, scoopmobiles, cranes, bridge trucks and more.
· Load and unload equipment as necessary.
· Maintain working knowledge of Motor Carrier Transportation Division’s (MCTD) current state and local vehicle size and weight laws and regulations and Department policies and procedures.
· This position is required to work in all types of weather and road conditions. Statewide and overnight travel is required. Required to lift up to 65 pounds and spend long hours driving, standing, walking, bending, stooping, and climbing ladders, reaching and carrying.
· To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
· Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Learn more about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
· Live, work and play in Oregon’s Willamette Valley!
Minimum qualifications for the transportation maintenance specialist 2 option:
One year of experience performing basic highway maintenance work;
Two years of general landscaping, maintenance, mechanical, farming, logging, and/or construction experience or training.
Minimum qualifications for the transportation maintenance specialist 1 (underfill option):
Six months experience operating heavy or light motorized equipment, using hand and power tools, performing minor servicing of equipment, and applying safety procedures.
Special qualification for both options:
Employee will be required to use a commercial motor vehicle to conduct business. You must possess a current, valid commercial driver’s license A (CDL-A) with a tanker endorsement, and no air brake restrictions, OR have the ability to acquire one within six months of hire (ODOT will cover training and costs) to be considered eligible for this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks, including Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Clearinghouse registration and full query check for our final candidate(s) and annual query for current employees.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these attributes, let us know in your application materials! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward! You do not need to have all these qualities to be eligible for this position. We may also use transferable skills, experience, education and alignment with ODOT values to help us decide who will move forward.
· Experience as a crane operator.
· Experience operating a semi-truck and trailer.
· Experience operating heavy equipment such as cranes, back hoes, trac hoes, loaders or boom trucks.
· Strong computer skills.
· Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively with a team.
Learn more and apply:
Our first application screening is scheduled for 9 a.m. on Thursday, October 5, 2023. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
For questions, call 971-345-1967 or email ODOTRecruitmentJS@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to ODOTRecruitmentJS@odot.oregon.gov