Oregon Department of Transportation
Professional Engineer 1 – Bridge Inspector
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Engineering & Technical Services Branch
Bridge Engineering Section / Bridge Operations Unit
Milwaukie, Roseburg or Salem
Salary Range: $6,060 – $9,402
We are recruiting for a bridge inspector to join our Bridge Operations Unit! In this role, you will inventory, inspect, evaluate and assess the condition state of all bridges, tunnels, culverts and sign support structures in the assigned area.
This position will be located in either Milwaukie, Roseburg or Salem depending on the successful candidate’s preference.
This is a limited duration appointment that is expected to end on or before two years from date of hire. Limited duration appointments are benefits eligible and have a designated maximum length of service. This position has the potential to become permanent.
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
A day in the life:
- Perform in-service and routine bridge inspections for structures in the assigned geographical area.
- Assess the condition of bridge elements and the urgency of any deficiencies.
- Report on National Bridge Inventory bridges, minor structures and structural sign bridges and cantilevers.
- Perform on-site assessments of the physical condition of structures and complete reports of the findings.
- Compare load rating report findings for consistency with current bridge conditions.
- Maintain and update a filing and record system on all structures in the state.
- Oversee, develop and implement quality control/assurance reviews on completed bridge and tunnel inspection work by region bridge inspection staff and consultant engineering firms.
- Help region bridge inspectors assess the condition of structural bridge members and associated structural details.
- Schedule, evaluate the condition and report on major bridges, tunnels and movable bridges.
- Conduct special inspections after major repair work, accident collision damage, major flooding, earthquakes or fire and report findings to appropriate personnel.
- Work outdoors more than 50% of the time – bridge inspection is regularly performed year-round, in all weather conditions and in extremely hazardous locations.
- Field work may involve working and climbing on structures that are significant heights above ground, over and near water and traffic.
- Work is performed in, around, and with toxic chemicals such as treated timber fumigants, carpenter ant pesticide sprays, and timber boring, dyes used to detect cracks in steel members, automotive exhaust fumes and waste.
- Considerable travel with frequent overnight stays away from the office required.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, hybrid work options, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
What we need:
A valid professional engineer’s (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in Oregon within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Experience performing bridge condition inspection or bridge construction inspection.
- Experience performing work at heights greater than 100 feet.
- Experience using specialized work access equipment such as an aerial lift, bucket truck, or under-bridge inspection truck.
- Experience working in or around non-permit required confined spaces.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, March 23 2023.
Click here to learn more and apply! Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer