Oregon Department of Transportation
Professional Engineer 1 – Region Bridge Inspector
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Engineering & Technical Services Branch
Bridge Engineering Section / Bridge Operations Unit
Salary Range: $6,060 – $9,402
Do you have experience evaluating the condition of bridges? Are you skilled at inspecting bridge construction and assessing deficiencies of existing bridges? We need your skills on our Bridge Operations Team in Bend. In this role you will evaluate and assess the condition of bridges and other structures and use your engineering judgment to consider urgency for repair, rehabilitation or replacement. Your work plays an integral role in keeping the traveling public safe on our highways. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
A day in the life:
· Assess the physical condition of structures, establish the urgency of any deficiencies, complete reports of findings.
· Recommend and direct necessary maintenance, repairs, and follow-up actions needed for structures.
· Establish the cause and effect of structural deficiencies that could affect load capacity.
· Communicate the urgency of major deficiencies to the State Bridge Operations Engineer.
· Inspect and evaluate repair work for compliance with design specifications.
· Maintain a record and filing system for a complete bridge record.
· Record bridge condition assessment information in a database and use the information to prepare official Bridge Inspection Reports.
· Review fieldwork for conformance with National Bridge Inventory Standards (NBIS) program guidelines.
· Assist and advise local city and county bridge inspection programs. Prepare and present training to State and local municipalities.
· Work is regularly performed outdoors, year-round, in all weather conditions. Work requires climbing on structures at significant heights above ground, over water, and over traffic. Considerable travel, with frequent overnight stays is necessary. Occasional night work is required.
· Hybrid remote work option.
· To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
Live, work and play in Bend, Oregon!
What we need:
A valid Professional Engineer’s (PE) license in Civil, Structural, or Transportation-related engineering.
NOTE: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain comity within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
· Experience performing bridge condition inspection or bridge construction inspection.
· Experience performing work at heights greater than 100 feet.
· Experience using specialized work access equipment such as a man-lift, bucket truck, or under-bridge inspection truck (UBIT).
· Experience working in or around non-permit required confined spaces.
· Experience working outdoors.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, February 7, 2023.
Click here to learn more and apply! Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Email ODOTRecruitmentSH@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov