Oregon Department of Transportation
Transportation Maintenance Specialist 2 – Highway Maintenance Specialist
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Region 1
Maintenance / District 2C
Cascade Locks Maintenance Crew
Salary Range: $ 3,265.00 – 4,913.00
Do you want to use your skills to make a difference? Apply today to join our hardworking crew and help keep Oregon’s roads safe! As part of our Cascade Locks Maintenance Crew, you will operate equipment necessary to maintain and repair roadways, highways, freeways and bridges. You will also assist in maintaining rest area facilities and operate equipment to help with emergency cleanup from accidents, storms and spills.
The goal of this recruitment is to fill this position at a transportation maintenance specialist 2 level. However, we encourage candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for a transportation maintenance specialist 1 ($3,022 – $4,465) to apply, as we may consider underfilling the position until the selected candidate meets the minimum qualifications for a transportation maintenance specialist 2. Underfill training will not exceed three years.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
A day in the life:
· Work a wide variety of equipment and get your boots on the ground to repair roadway surfaces and shoulders.
· Keep roads and facilities clear and safe in winter—do snow removal, deicing and sanding.
· Set out temporary traffic control signs and devices and flag traffic to protect the traveling public and work crews.
· Maintain drainage systems, dig and clean ditches, repair culverts, inlets and erosion.
· Clear debris, build and repair fences, clear brush, mow grass and spray roadside vegetation.
· Repair guardrails, milepost markers and fences.
· Maintain wooded areas – replant, prune, thin or trim trees, shrubs and groundcover.
· Service and repair tools and motorized equipment.
· Perform minor building maintenance including janitorial, landscaping, painting and light carpentry.
· Exposure to noise, extreme heights, all weather conditions, dangerous equipment, pesticides, fertilizers and hazardous waste materials is expected.
· Must be able to walk, stand, bend and stoop for extended periods and may need to lift up to 60 pounds.
· May need to be available after hours, on weekends and holidays for emergency, on-call and weather-related purposes.
To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
Live, work and play near Mount Hood and the Columbia River Gorge!
What we need for the Transportation Maintenance Specialist 2:
Two years of maintenance and/or construction experience in roadway/highway, bridge, sign, drawbridge or landscape (any type of ground maintenance, including tree, shrub and lawn maintenance; sprinkler system maintenance, cleaning ditches and catch basins, or work related to professional/commercial or public landscaping, farming or logging);
Experience in each of the following areas:
A) Operating heavy and/or light motorized equipment;
B) Using hand and power tools;
C) Performing minor servicing of equipment, AND
D) Applying safety procedures.
Two years of experience operating construction and maintenance machinery to include one or more of the following types: front-end loader, road grader, bulldozer, backhoe, tractor/low-boy, and 5- or 10- yard dump truck.
What we need for the transportation maintenance specialist 1 underfill option:
Six months experience in operating heavy or light motorized equipment, using hand and power tools, performing minor servicing of equipment and applying safety procedures.
Employee will be required to use a commercial motor vehicle to conduct business; you must possess a current, valid commercial driver’s license A (CDL-A) with a tanker endorsement, and no air brake restrictions, OR have the ability to acquire one within six months of hire (ODOT will cover training and costs) to be considered eligible for this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks, including Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Clearinghouse registration and full query check for our final candidate(s) and annual query for current employees.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
· Experience with highway maintenance or construction.
· Snow removal experience (using snow blowers, snow plows, sanding or deicing).
· Experience operating a variety of tools and equipment.
· Commercial driver’s license A, B or commercial driver’s license permit.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, December 13, 2022.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov