Oregon Department of Transportation
Transportation Maintenance Specialist 2 – Highway Maintenance Specialist
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Region 4
If you value safety and have maintenance experience, then join our team as a highway maintenance specialist. As part of our maintenance team, you will repair and preserve roadways, bridges, structures and facilities to help keep Oregon’s roadways safe for the traveling public. Apply today!
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
A day in the life:
- Operate a variety of equipment and perform manual labor to repair roadway surfaces and shoulders.
- Complete weather related operations including snow removal, deicing and sanding.
- Maintain drainage systems, dig and clean ditches and repair culverts, inlets and erosion.
- Clear debris, build and repair fences, clear brush, mow grass and spray roadside vegetation.
- Repair guardrails, milepost markers and fences.
- Service and repair tools and motorized equipment.
- Perform minor building maintenance including janitorial, landscaping, painting and light carpentry.
- Exposure to noise, extreme heights, adverse weather, heavy equipment, pesticides and hazardous waste materials is expected.
- Must be able to move around rough terrain, on uneven slopes and may need to lift up to 60 pounds.
- May need to be available after hours, on weekends and holidays for emergency, on call and weather related purposes.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Learn more about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
- Live, work and play in Condon, Oregon!
What we need:
Two years of maintenance and/or construction experience in roadway/highway, bridge, sign, drawbridge or landscape (any type of ground maintenance, including tree, shrub and lawn maintenance; sprinkler system maintenance, cleaning ditches and catch basins, or work related to professional/commercial or public landscaping, farming or logging).
Experience in each of the following areas:
A) Operating heavy and/or light motorized equipment;
B) Using hand and power tools;
C) Performing minor servicing of equipment, AND
D) Applying safety procedures.
Two years of experience operating construction and maintenance machinery to include one or more of the following types: front-end loader, road grader, bulldozer, backhoe, tractor/low-boy, and 5- or 10- yard dump truck.
CDL-A or CDL-B Required: Employee will be required to use a commercial motor vehicle to conduct business. You must possess a current, valid commercial driver’s license A or B with no air brake restrictions to be considered eligible for this position. You must have the ability to obtain a tanker endorsement within 30 days of hire. If you have a CDL-B, you must also be able to obtain a commercial driver’s license A (CDL-A) within six months of hire (ODOT will cover training costs). A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks, including Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Clearinghouse registration and full query check for our final candidate(s) and annual query for current employees.
This position requires a maximum 30 minute response time to 406 E Frazer, Condon, OR 97823 for emergency call-outs.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Experience working as part of a team.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well without supervision.
- Basic computer skills.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, June 8, 2023.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 503-910-6372 or email ODOTRecruitmentCC@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to ODOTRecruitmentCC@odot.oregon.gov