Oregon Department of Transportation
Transportation Maintenance Specialist 2 – Highway Maintenance Specialist
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Region 4
Our Warm Springs Junction Maintenance Crew is hiring two highway maintenance specialists to join our crew in maintaining U.S. 26 throughout the winter! In this seasonal role working on a winter pass, you will clear snow, treat icy roadways, and repair and rebuild roadways, bridges, structures and facilities. Apply today!
This is a seasonal position that is expected to last approximately five months from date of hire. Seasonal positions are regular status, benefits eligible positions, which occur, terminate and recur periodically or regularly.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
A day in the life:
- Perform manual labor and operate a variety of heavy and light equipment and/or tools to complete various phases of winter operations and roadway/highway maintenance.
- Respond to weather-related emergencies by assessing the need for and performing snow removal, de-icing or sanding to keep roadways, highways and bridges open for the traveling public.
- Perform minor surface repair and sweep highway facilities.
- Maintain drainage systems, dig and clean ditches, and repair culverts, inlets and erosion.
- Dispose of debris, clear brush, mow grass and spray roadside vegetation.
- Maintain, repair or replace metal guardrails, concrete barriers, fences and roadway or milepost markers.
- Set out temporary traffic control signs and devices and flag traffic to protect the traveling public and work crews.
- Maintain equipment in sound working order: change oil, check lighting systems, and make minor repairs.
- Perform minor building maintenance including sweeping floors, cleaning toilets, painting and light carpentry.
- Work is performed outdoors, year round in all weather conditions.
- Exposure to noise, adverse weather, dangerous equipment, pesticides, fertilizers and hazardous waste materials is expected.
- Must be able to walk, stand, bend and stoop for extended periods and be able to lift up to 60 pounds.
- May need to be available at any time including weekends and holidays for emergency, on-call and weather-related purposes.
- This position is a day shift, working 6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday; position may be reassigned to a night crew shift November through March.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more.
- Live, work and play in Maupin, Oregon!
What we need:
Two years of maintenance and/or construction experience in roadway/highway, bridge, sign, drawbridge or landscape (any type of ground maintenance, including tree, shrub and lawn maintenance; sprinkler system maintenance, cleaning ditches and catch basins, or work related to professional/commercial or public landscaping, farming or logging);
Experience in each of the following areas:
A) Operating heavy and/or light motorized equipment;
B) Using hand and power tools;
C) Performing minor servicing of equipment, AND
D) Applying safety procedures.
Two years of experience operating construction and maintenance machinery to include one or more of the following types: front-end loader, road grader, bulldozer, backhoe, tractor/low-boy, and 5- or 10- yard dump truck.
- CDL-A or CDL-B: Employee will be required to use a commercial motor vehicle to conduct business. You must possess a current, valid commercial driver’s license A (CDL-A) or commercial driver’s license B (CDL-B) with combination and tanker endorsements and air brake restriction removed OR have the ability to obtain a CDL-A or CDL-B within three months of hire (ODOT will cover training and costs) to be considered eligible for this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks, including Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Clearinghouse registration and full query check for our final candidate(s) and annual query for current employees.
- This position requires a maximum 45 minute response time to the OR 216 / U.S. 26 junction (approximately 28 miles west of 71739 Hwy. 216, Maupin, OR 97307), for emergency call-outs.
- The State of Oregon requires all executive branch employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Successful candidates for this position must submit vaccination documentation or be approved for an exception prior to their first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of full documentation or receipt of an approved exception will lead to withdrawal of the job offer. For more information, visit our policy listed here.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Current, valid commercial driver’s license A (CDL-A) or commercial driver’s license B (CDL-B).
- Highway maintenance experience.
- Snow plowing experience.
- Experience operating equipment.
Learn more and apply:
Our first application screening is scheduled for 7:00 a.m. on Thursday, November 18, 2021. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us