Oregon Department of Transportation
Professional Engineer 1 – Region Bridge Inspector
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Engineering & Technical Services Branch
Bridge Engineering Section / Bridge Operations Unit
Milwaukie or Salem
Salary Range: $6,060 – $9,402
Do you have experience evaluating the condition of bridges? Are you skilled at inspecting bridge construction and assessing deficiencies of existing bridges? We need your skills on our Bridge Operations Unit. In this role, you will evaluate and assess the condition of bridges and other structures and use your engineering judgment to consider urgency for repair, rehabilitation or replacement. This work plays an integral role in keeping the traveling public safe on our highways. Apply today!
This position will be located in either Milwaukie or Salem depending on the successful candidate’s preference.
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
A day in the life:
- Schedule, evaluate the condition and report on major bridges.
- Inspect structural members and assist in inspecting mechanical and electrical elements using specialized equipment and testing procedures.
- Schedule and perform in-service inspections for structures and assess the condition of bridge elements and the urgency of any deficiencies.
- Report on National Bridge Inventory (NBI) bridges, minor structures and structural sign bridges and cantilevers.
- Schedule, evaluate the condition and report fracture critical, special detail and fatigue prone bridge members.
- Maintain a complete bridge record and filing system on all structures and record bridge condition assessment information in the Bridge Inspection Database.
- Perform joint quality assurance inspections with the Bridge Operations Unit to assess quality within the program.
- Work outdoors more than 50% of the time – bridge inspection is regularly performed outdoors, year-round, in all weather conditions and in hazardous locations including working and climbing on structures at significant heights above ground, over water and traffic.
- Considerable travel with frequent overnight stays away from the office required.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more.
What we need:
A valid professional engineer’s (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in Oregon within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Experience performing bridge condition inspection or bridge construction inspection.
- Experience performing work at heights greater than 100 feet.
- Experience using specialized work access equipment such as an aerial lift, bucket truck, or under-bridge inspection truck (UBIT).
- Experience working in or around non-permit required confined spaces.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on May 30, 2023.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
For questions, call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to odotrecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov