Oregon Department of Transportation
Civil Engineering Specialist 1 – Senior Inspector
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery and Operations Division – Region 5
Salary Range: $4,306 – $6,680
Join ODOT as a senior inspector in Eastern Oregon (Region 5)! In this position, you will function as a member of a crew of 10-15 employees to perform routine field, office and inspection technology work on various transportation and construction projects. You will oversee daily contract compliance, contract administration and contractor documentation. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
The majority of the work performed by the person in this position will be performed in the Eastern Oregon Border Economic Region.
· If you are a current Malheur County resident, you may receive 5% preference for this recruitment. Please indicate in your application questionnaire for this recruitment if you are requesting Malheur County residence preference in employment.
· A resident applicant who received preference and accepted the position must maintain residency in Malheur County for at least five consecutive years following the hire date.
· Failure to maintain residency in Malheur County is considered a voluntary termination.
The next application screening is scheduled for 8:00 a.m. on Monday, February 13, 2023. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying. If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
· Read, understand and interpret the contract documentation and identify potential problems and work with others in their resolution.
· Ensure construction work performed in accordance with the contract documents and inspect construction grade, materials and procedures.
· Ensure contractors meet labor compliance specifications and standards. Perform field interviews.
· Inspect construction materials and procedures and ensure that all required tests are performed and documented.
· Prepare field inspection reports, daily progress reports and pay notes.
· Perform detailed surveys using manual and electronic survey equipment, computers and software.
· Research horizontal and/or vertical control, right of way maps, public land survey corners and filed maps.
· Monitor project safety procedures and traffic control.
· Drive a state vehicle to various project sites, meetings and other locations throughout the day; overnight stays may be required.
· Work is performed primarily outdoors – working conditions include exposure to hazardous construction sites, heavy construction equipment, traffic and all weather conditions.
· Duties may involve lifting and carrying equipment (up to 50 pounds).
· To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
Live, work and play in Ontario, Oregon!
What we need:
Four years of para-professional engineering or surveying experience. One year of this experience must have been working independently or as a senior member of a team or work group.
An associate degree in engineering technology or surveying from a recognized community college or technical school of engineering and two and one-half years of engineering or surveying experience. One year of this experience must have been working independently or as a senior member of a team or work group.
A bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, surveying, or transportation-related Engineering and one-year civil engineering or surveying experience.
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
· Ability to read, understand and interpret contract documentation.
· Construction inspection experience.
Learn more and apply:
Our first application screening is scheduled for 8 a.m. on 8:00 a.m. on Monday, February 13, 2023. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Click here to learn more and apply!
For questions, call 503-400-5327 or email ODOTRecruitmentSH@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov