Associate in Engineering 1 – Construction Specialist
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Region 1
Salary Range: $4,586 – $7,114
Do you have highway construction experience? Are you looking to use your engineering skills in a position to help ensure the safety of highway construction in Oregon? We are recruiting for a construction specialist to represent the project manager at work sites and inspect work as it is performed, ensuring contract compliance. Apply now to join our team!
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
A day in the life:
- Review pre-award contract documentation for completeness and accuracy, provide review comments for action and follow up to ensure comments are addressed.
- Interpret contract documentation, anticipate potential problems, propose solutions and coordinate with others to implement resolution.
- Inspect and monitor construction work to assure that the materials and work performed aligns with the plans and specifics; reject work or material that does not meet contract requirements.
- Review contractor’s pollution control plan and erosion control plans for conformance with permits and requirements.
- Represent our agency in communications with contractors, the public and other interested parties.
- Monitor traffic control for public safety and for the safety of contractor and ODOT personnel.
- Document quality and quantity of construction work and materials; reject work or material that does not meet requirements.
- Spot check survey stakes, grades, stations, locations, and alignments.
- Ensure all required tests are performed and documented.
- Provide project information to project management team and lead field and office staff to document quality and quantity of construction and work materials.
- Prepare and maintain project documentation and reports.
- Assist in training and mentoring others.
- Work outdoors, in all weather conditions, 50% or more of the time – field work involves working around construction equipment and traffic hazards and walking on various types of terrain, climbing ladders, traversing scaffolding and working in elevated locations more than 20 feet above ground/water.
- Work includes lifting and carrying material or equipment that weighs at least 50 pounds.
- Work shift may be during the day or night; be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including weekends and holidays.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, paid leave and so much more. Learn more
- about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation and the benefits we offer.
Competitive benefits packages which can be estimated using our compensation calculator.
- Comprehensive and equitable base salary offer within the listed range based on your experience, skills and education. The salary range listed is the non-PERS participating rate. If you are already a participating PERS member or once you become PERS eligible, the salary range will increase by 6%. Please review the Classification and Compensation page for more details.
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness opportunity!
A bachelor’s degree in civil or transportation-related engineering.
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these attributes, let us know in your application materials! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward! You do not need to have all these qualities to be eligible for this position. We may also use transferable skills, experience, education and alignment with ODOT values to help us decide who will move forward.
- Experience, education and/or training in construction, preferably for highway construction.
- Experience reading and interpreting contract plans and specifications, preferably for highway construction.
- Experience implementing and/or inspecting temporary traffic control in construction work zones, preferably for highway construction.
- Experience implementing and/or inspecting temporary/permanent erosion control best management practices in construction work zones, preferably for highway construction.
Learn more and apply:
Our first application screening is scheduled for 9 a.m. on Thursday, February 22, 2024. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
For questions, call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov