Oregon Department of Transportation
Professional Engineer 2 – Senior Structural Design Engineer
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Engineering & Technical Services Branch
Bridge Engineering Section / Bridge Design Unit
Bring your bridge design expertise to our team! As a senior structural design engineer, you will play a key role in ensuring our bridges and structures are safe. You will lead bridge engineers on challenging projects and plan and direct complex design of major bridges and other highway or transportation-related structures to solve unusual engineering problems. You will mentor and train other professional designers and technicians and provide technical advice and guidance within the agency. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
A day in the life:
- Prepare bridge design work order internal to the operation of the Bridge Design Unit.
- Perform bridge and structures engineering, modeling for structural analysis and design and detailing for bridges and structures.
- Prepare engineer’s cost estimate and estimate of probable construction schedule.
- Prepare construction specifications in coordination with project specification writer.
- Actively participate on project teams.
- Complete project development and project design phases.
- Perform a complete engineering analysis and load rating of existing bridges identified as having structural deficiencies.
- Lead multi-bridge projects, direct and review the work of structural designers and drafters in preparing plans and detailing structures.
- Provide technical advice and guidance to regional bridge design teams and region personnel.
- Act as bridge quality reviewer performing quality checking duties and quality practices.
- Provide consultation for planning, scoping, technical design and construction issues.
- Mentor and train other professional designers and technicians in structural analysis and design.
- Perform contract administrator duties: write design contract language and manage and review design contracts.
- Work is performed in an office environment with occasional field work required.
- Field work may require walking adjacent to traffic, stooping, bending or climbing around hazardous locations, working 20 feet or more above the ground/traffic/railways/water.
- Occasional work required day or night and off normal work hours to respond to bridge or structure damage.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.state.or.us.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, remote work options, competitive benefits packages and so much more.
- Live, work and play in Portland, Oregon!
What we need:
A valid professional engineer’s (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering and three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in the state of Oregon within six (6) months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must possess and maintain a valid driver license and acceptable driving record. Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Experience designing using reinforced concrete, prestressed concrete and structural steel.
- Experience designing and load rating simple to complex bridges.
- Experience designing repair and strengthening of existing bridges.
- Experience in seismic design.
- Experience mentoring others.
Learn more and apply:
Our next application screening is scheduled for 7:00 a.m. on Monday, November 29, 2021. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to odotrecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us