Oregon Department of Transportation
Associate in Engineering 1 – Construction Specialist
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Region 1
Salary Range: 4,306.00 – 6,680.00
Do you have highway construction experience? Are you looking to use your engineering skills in a position to help ensure the safety of highway construction in Oregon? We are recruiting for two construction specialists to represent the project manager at work sites and inspect work as it is performed, ensuring contract compliance. Apply now to join our team!
We are recruiting for one vacancy at our Barlow Construction Office and one vacancy at our Sylvan Construction Office.
This announcement has been revised to allow it to remain open until filled. The next screening and selection process will begin at 8 a.m. on Monday, 04/03/2023. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their application materials without delay as the announcement may be closed at any time without advance notice at the discretion of the agency. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date.
This recruitment is to augment the candidate pool generated by job announcement REQ-109283. If you have previously applied for this position, you do not need to reapply. Names of qualified applicants will remain on the list for further consideration.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
A day in the life:
· Review pre-award contract documentation for completeness and accuracy, provide review comments for action and follow up to ensure comments are addressed.
· Interpret contract documentation, anticipate potential problems, propose solutions and coordinate with others to implement resolution.
· Inspect and monitor construction work to assure that the materials and work performed aligns with the plans and specifics; reject work or material that does not meet contract requirements.
· Review contractor’s pollution control plan and erosion control plans for conformance with permits and requirements.
· Represent our agency in communications with contractors, the public and other interested parties.
· Monitor traffic control for public safety and for the safety of contractor and ODOT personnel.
· Document quality and quantity of construction work and materials; reject work or material that does not meet requirements.
· Spot check survey stakes, grades, stations, locations, and alignments.
· Ensure all required tests are performed and documented.
· Provide project information to project management team and lead field and office staff to document quality and quantity of construction and work materials.
· Prepare and maintain project documentation and reports.
· Assist in training and mentoring others.
· Work outdoors, in all weather conditions, 50% or more of the time – field work involves working around construction equipment and traffic hazards and walking on various types of terrain, climbing ladders, traversing scaffolding and working in elevated locations more than 20 feet above ground/water.
· Work includes lifting and carrying material or equipment that weighs at least 50 pounds.
· Work shift may be during the day or night; be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including weekends and holidays.
To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
Live, work and play in Portland, Oregon!
What we need:
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
A bachelor’s degree in civil or transportation-related engineering.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
· Experience, education and training related to highway construction projects.
· Experience reading and interpreting contract plans and specifications related to highway construction projects.
· Knowledge of temporary traffic control in highway construction work zones.
· Knowledge of environmental processes, laws, policies and regulations related to highway construction.
Learn more and apply:
Our first application screening is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Monday, April 3, 2023. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
For questions, call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov