Oregon Department of Transportation
Initial Posting Date:
Department of Transportation
$4,607 – $7,145
Senior Construction Specialist
Associate in Engineering 2 – Senior Construction Specialist
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Region 1
Project Delivery – Barlow Construction
Join our team and assist in the administration and supervision of transportation construction projects and staff. Your leadership and engineering knowledge will contribute to many parts of projects, including staffing, design, inspection and contractor compliance. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
Our first application screening is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Thursday, July 14, 2022. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying. If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
- Oversee administration of transportation construction contracts, such as highways, bridges and bikeways.
- Establish and maintain relations with contractors and their representatives.
- Review contract work for compliance with plans and specifications.
- Assure contractor follows contract by monitoring inspectors and survey crews, reviewing ongoing construction and by ordering and performing tests and samples.
- Recommend acceptance or rejection of contract work.
- Review construction designer’s work for completeness and accuracy and also provide feedback to better refine plans at the construction phase.
- Work with the assistant project manager to assign and adjust work assignments to meet contractor schedules.
- Help the project manager by directing and reviewing the work of assign staff throughout a project.
- Direct and review the work of other crew members in process or upon completion.
- Interview and recommend hiring of new employees.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
- Live, work and play in Portland, Oregon!
Want to know about new job postings? Click here to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and one year of experience applying professional engineering theory, principles and methods.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Experience, education or training related to highway construction projects.
- Experience reading and interpreting contract plans and specifications related to highway construction.
- Experience in supervision of administering field construction contracts including structures, highways, traffic signals and bikeways.
- Knowledge of Disadvantaged Business Enterprise, Equal Employment Opportunity, on the job training and other requirements of the Civil Rights program related to highway construction.
- Knowledge of environmental processes, laws, policies and regulations related to highway construction.
- Knowledge of temporary traffic control in highway construction work zones.
- Knowledge of coordination of inspection activities on complex highway construction projects.
How to apply:
- Before applying, click here to visit our applicant information website to learn more about our process.
- Complete the following required steps:
- Fill out the application. We will not accept a position description or attached resume in place of a completed application.
- Complete questionnaire. Answer the checkbox-style questions before submitting your application.
- After you submit your application, please respond to the public records request authorization and gender identity questionnaire. This screen will come after you submit and will complete the process. If you are an employee, the tasks will come to your Workday inbox.
- If you are a veteran, you may receive preference. Click here for more information about veterans’ preference. The task to claim preference will come after the public records request and gender identity questionnaire tasks. Click here for a guide on how to upload your documents. For privacy reasons, please do not attach your DD214/DD215/civil service preference letter to your application or combine it with any other required document attachments.
- For questions, call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
The fine print:
- This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Thursday, 7/14/2022, but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
- We may also use other factors to help us decide who will move forward, such as transferable skills, experience, education, and alignment with ODOT values.
- We do not offer visa sponsorship. If you are hired, you will be required to fill out the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming you are able to work in the US.
- Don’t attach extra documents. We will only look at documents that we ask for.
- We may use this recruitment to fill multiple or future vacancies.
- We will conduct name-based criminal background checks on final candidates, not including current ODOT employees. All applicants may be subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System), and/or education verification as required for the position.
- You will be represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Learn more and apply:
Our first application screening is scheduled for 8 a.m. on 07/14/22. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Click here to learn more and apply! Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12
355 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-3871
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other class protected by state or federal laws in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices. Applicants with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. For questions, concerns, or complaints regarding EEO/AA/ADA, contact 1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT). This information can be made available in an alternative format by contacting ODOT Recruitment at 503-986-3700. Oregon Relay Service can be reached by calling 7-1-1.
To apply for this job please visit oregon.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.