Oregon Department of Transportation
Initial Posting Date:
Department of Transportation
$5,878 – $9,119
Traffic Operations Engineer – Rose Quarter
Professional Engineer 1 – Traffic Operations Engineer – Rose Quarter
Oregon Department of Transportation
Operations – Urban Mobility Office
Our Urban Mobility Office is seeking a highly motivated traffic operations engineer to provide technical expertise and leadership in developing, evaluating, deploying and operating technology related to traffic engineering and intelligent transportation systems (ITS). Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
Our next application screening is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Monday, July 25, 2022. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying. If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
- Act as the Rose Quarter traffic operations representative for ITS devices or signals.
- Review plans and submittals, provides comments and coordinates the traffic response to submitted materials.
- Attend project team meetings and provide recommendations, direction and expert advice.
- Evaluate complex, unique and unusual traffic engineering problems and recommend improvements.
- Recommend interchange and intersection layout, striping layout, pedestrian accommodations, traffic control and other issues to ensure safe and efficient traffic operations.
- Review analysis, modeling and reports for transportation related studies.
- Direct and conduct required approval documentation for all traffic approvals.
- Provide expert advice regarding the use of variable message signs and portable variable message signs.
- Develop variable and portable variable message signing plans.
- Remote work and flexible schedule options available – work is performed in both an office environment and in the field.
- Field work involves exposure to traffic hazards and working in all weather conditions.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, remote work options, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
- Live, work and play in Portland, Oregon!
Want to know about new job postings? Click here to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
A valid professional engineer’s (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of traffic engineering principles and transportation system operations.
- Working knowledge of transportation project development and construction.
- Proficient in the use of personal computers and traffic modeling software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to cooperate with coworkers, consultants and agency partners to solve complex engineering issues.
How to apply:
- Before applying, click here to visit our applicant information website to learn more about our process.
- Complete the following required steps:
- Attach a resume. Your resume must include dates (MM/YYYY) for each employer. Please contact the recruiter under the ‘Need help?’ section if you have any questions about how to attach a document.
- Complete questionnaire. Answer the checkbox-style questions before submitting your application.
- After you submit your application, please respond to the public records request authorization and gender identity questionnaire. This screen will come after you submit and will complete the process. If you are an employee, the tasks will come to your Workday inbox.
- If you are a veteran, you may receive preference. Click here for more information about veterans’ preference. The task to claim preference will come after the public records request and gender identity questionnaire tasks. Click here for a guide on how to upload your documents. For privacy reasons, please do not attach your DD214/DD215/civil service preference letter to your application or combine it with any other required document attachments.
For questions, call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
The fine print:
- This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our next application screening is scheduled for 8 a.m. on 07/25/2022, but we may close the announcement at any time after this date when we have received an adequate number of applications. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after this screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
- We may also use other factors to help us decide who will move forward, such as transferable skills, experience, education, and alignment with ODOT values.
- We do not offer visa sponsorship. If you are hired, you will be required to fill out the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming you are able to work in the US.
- Don’t attach extra documents. We will only look at documents that we ask for.
- We may use this recruitment to fill multiple or future vacancies.
- We will conduct name-based criminal background checks on final candidates, not including current ODOT employees. All applicants may be subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System), and/or education verification as required for the position.
- You will be represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Learn more and apply:
Our first application screening is scheduled for 8 a.m. on 7/25/22. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Click here to learn more and apply! Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov