Oregon Department of Transportation
Professional Engineer 1 – Structural Design Engineer
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Engineering & Technical Services Branch
Bridge Engineering Section / Bridge Design Unit
Salary Range: $6,060 – $9,402
Our Bridge Design Unit is hiring! As a structural design engineer, you will plan and direct the design of bridges and other highway and transportation related structures. In this collaborative role, you will also provide structural analysis and design, technical guidance, mentoring, support and training. Apply today!
This position will be located in either Portland, Salem, Roseburg, Bend or La Grande depending on the successful candidate’s preference.
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
A day in the life:
- Independently perform bridge and structures engineering of simple to complex bridges and other transportation-related structures.
- Actively participate on project teams.
- Complete the project development phase, including alternatives analysis, type, and size & location (TS&L) report.
- Complete the project design phase, including preliminary plans package, advance plans package, final plans package and plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E).
- Perform a complete engineering analysis and load rating of new and existing bridges.
- Perform quality practices, including checking and review, as noted in the Bridge Design Manual (BDM) and bridge design work order.
- Provide engineering support for construction projects to resident engineers (construction project managers), including review of construction documents including shop drawings, falsework, shoring, temporary works, and fabrication techniques and details for structural adequacy and completeness.
- Provide consultation for planning, scoping, technical design and construction issues as requested.
- Provide project scoping consultation to project managers and scoping coordinators.
- Coordinate with peers to ensure that structural design policies are current, applicable, and appropriate in the changing field of structural engineering.
- Majority of work is performed in an office environment with occasional responses to damaged bridges or structures outside of normal working hours. Hybrid work options available.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more.
What we need:
A valid Professional Engineer’s (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in Oregon within six months of hire.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Experience designing bridges and non-bridge highway and transportation-related structures using Mathcad and MIDAS software, and Bentley products.
- Thorough understanding of AASHTO bridge design codes and ODOT specifications and standards.
- Experience preparing plan sheets, specifications and construction cost estimates and schedules.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with diverse teams of people to solve problems.
- Experience working as part of a multi-disciplinary project team, where compromise is needed to achieve project goals of all disciplines and stakeholders.
Learn more and apply:
Our first application screening is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Wednesday, May 31, 2023. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
For questions, call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to odotrecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov