Oregon Department of Transportation
Professional Engineer 2 – Senior Structural Design Engineer (Agency Bridge Reviewer)
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Engineering & Technical Services Branch
Bridge Engineering Section / Bridge Design Unit
Salary Range: $7,015 – $10,883
We are recruiting for a senior structural design engineer to join our team! In this role, you will prepare architecture and engineering (A&E) consultant contracts that include structural engineering services, provide structural analysis and design services for bridges and transportation structures, and provide technical advice and guidance to region staff. Apply today!
A day in the life:
· Manage and engage the region for A&E consultant design service contracts.
· Actively participate on project teams.
· Review project work to establish project acceptability per the contract recommend acceptance, including review of final project documentation.
· Evaluate consultant performance and identify specific contract language changes to be incorporated statewide.
· Assist in reviewing consultant plans, specifications, and other required deliverables to ensure they meet contract requirements.
· Apply the Bridge Design Manual and Bridge Design Work Order in review of consultant work.
· Apply broad-based engineering experience and specialized knowledge to collaboratively identify innovative solutions to unforeseen issues during the execution of the contract.
· Review monthly consultant progress payment estimates and invoices for work performed each month.
· Provide project scoping consultation to transportation project managers and scoping coordinators.
· Coordinate with peers to ensure that structural design policies are current, applicable and appropriate in the changing field of structural engineering.
· Work is primarily performed in an office environment with occasional work in a field environment.
· Field work may involve walking next to traffic, stooping bending or climbing around hazardous locations, working 20 feet or more above ground, traffic, railways or water, and using safety equipment.
· External damage to a bridge or structure can occur day or night and may require work outside of normal work hours.
· To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
Live, work and play in Roseburg, Oregon!
What we need:
A valid professional engineer’s (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering and three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience.
Note: Three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience is considered licensed experience only. If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in Oregon within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
· Formal education in civil engineering with a structural emphasis.
· Experience designing simple to complex bridges.
· Experience designing non-bridge highway and transportation-related structures (e.g., retaining walls, culverts, overhead sign supports).
· Experience writing, estimating and managing A&E contracts; and reviewing A&E produced deliverables.
· Experience communicating with internal and external customers.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, January 26, 2023.
Click here to learn more and apply! Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer