Oregon Department of Transportation
Initial Posting Date:
Department of Transportation
$5,598 – $8,606
Professional Land Surveyor 1 – Project Surveyor
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Engineering & Technical Services Branch
Engineering Automation Section – Geometronics Unit
Join our team in Salem as a project surveyor! In this role, you will lead a diverse design team responsible for preparing maps used in support of transportation improvement projects. As a project surveyor, your advice on region plans is critical in assuring project schedules and that budgets are met. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
- Oversee operation of stationary 3D Laser Scanner, truck mounted 3D Mobile Scanner and Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) for field data collection, data processing and analysis.
- Lead a project team of surveyors responsible for developing remote sensing products.
- Develop project workflow plans to ensure adherence to project schedules and monitor project progress.
- Coordinate with design staff and agency managers from various crews for mapping details.
- Produce planimetric, topographic maps, and digital terrain models.
- Edit and perform quality control checks in software platforms.
- Review work and provide on the job training.
- Prepare aerial photo mosaics which include digital images, creating digital mosaics and plotting final prints.
- Serve as a technical resource for remote sensing related issues.
- Hybrid work options available – work in an office setting with occasional work outdoors with field survey crews.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
- Live, work and play in Salem, Oregon!
Want to know about new job postings? Click here to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
A valid Professional Land Surveyor (PLS) license.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration within six months of hire.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Experience in operating and managing small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS).
- Experience in remote sensing data file types and processing software.
- Experience in computer programming and scripting in manipulating Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data sets.
- Skill in operating computers and data storage equipment.
- Experience in geodetic survey procedures, Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) and the processing of Inertial Navigation Systems (INS) data sets.
How to apply:
- Before applying, click here to visit our applicant information website to learn more about our process.
- Complete the following required steps:
- Attach a resume. Your resume must include dates (MM/YYYY) for each employer. Please contact the recruiter under the ‘Need help?’ section if you have any questions about how to attach a document.
- Attach a cover letter. Your cover letter should clearly demonstrate how your experience and training relates to the qualities that you have under the “what we’d like to see” section above.
- Your cover letter must be limited to no more than two (2) pages.
- Please address your cover letter to Joseph Thomas, PLS, State Surveyor / Engineering Automation Manager.
- Generic cover letters and/or cover letters that do not address the qualities that you have under the “what we’d like to see” section may receive lower scores than those that addressed the desired qualities.
- If you are an external applicant, you must upload your cover letter in the ‘Resume/CV’ section of the application.
- Complete questionnaire. Answer the checkbox-style questions before submitting your application.
- After you submit your application, please respond to the public records request authorization and gender identity questionnaire. This screen will come after you submit and will complete the process. If you are an employee, the tasks will come to your Workday inbox.
- If you are a veteran, you may receive preference. Click here for more information about veterans’ preference. The task to claim preference will come after the public records request and gender identity questionnaire tasks. Click here for a guide on how to upload your documents. For privacy reasons, please do not attach your DD214/DD215/civil service preference letter to your application or combine it with any other required document attachments.
For questions, call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
The fine print:
- This recruitment is to augment the candidate pool generated by job announcement REQ-94243.
- If you have previously applied for this position, you do not need to reapply. Names of qualified applicants will remain on the list for further consideration.
- We may also use other factors to help us decide who will move forward, such as transferable skills, experience, education, and alignment with ODOT values.
- We do not offer visa sponsorship. If you are hired, you will be required to fill out the US
- Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming you are able to work in the US.
- Don’t attach extra documents. We will only look at documents that we ask for.
- We may use this recruitment to fill multiple or future vacancies.
- We will conduct name-based criminal background checks on final candidates, not including current ODOT employees. All applicants may be subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System), and/or education verification as required for the position.
- You will be represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12
355 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-3871
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other class protected by state or federal laws in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices. Applicants with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. For questions, concerns, or complaints regarding EEO/AA/ADA, contact 1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT). This information can be made available in an alternative format by contacting ODOT Recruitment at 503-986-3700. Oregon Relay Service can be reached by calling 7-1-1.
To apply for this job email your details to ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov