Oregon Department of Transportation
Associate in Engineering 2 – Roadway Designer
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Engineering & Technical Services Branch
Traffic-Roadway Section / Roadway Engineering Unit
Salary Range: $4,750 – $7,366
We are recruiting for a roadway designer to join our team in Salem! In this role, you will assist in researching, developing and implementing standards, specifications and training related to Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) design and construction. Apply today to use your skills to help create a more accessible transportation system!
The goal of this recruitment is to fill this position at an associate in engineering 2 level. However, we encourage candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for an associate in engineering 1 ($4,306 – $6,680) to apply, as we may consider underfilling the position until the selected candidate meets the minimum qualifications for an associate in engineering 2. Underfill training will not exceed three years
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
A day in the life:
- Provide engineering design support for ADA curb ramps, bicycle facilities and sidewalks to agency project teams, consultants, cities and counties during all phases of project development.
- Review construction plans for compliance with standards and recommend revisions to the contract plans, if appropriate.
- Develop new and creative designs to accommodate bicycle and pedestrian travel on roadways.
- Assist in researching, developing and implementing standards, specifications and procedures for required ADA design statewide.
- Review and make recommendations on exceptions to design standards, specifications and procedures statewide.
- Use computer query procedures to prepare reports from Excel files or the TransInfo database.
- Assist with the methodology, process, collection and maintenance of asset inventories of ADA ramps, bicycle facilities and sidewalks.
- Work in an office environment with hybrid work options available.
- Occasional field trips throughout the state required – outdoor work may be necessary in inclement weather and heavy traffic conditions.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more.
What we need for the associate in engineering 2 minimum qualifications:
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and one year of experience applying professional engineering theory, principles and methods.
What we need for the associate in engineering 1 underfill minimum qualifications:
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam;
A bachelor’s degree in civil or transportation-related engineering.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Must be able to read and interpret project prospectuses, location narratives, preliminary and construction plans.
- Proficient in using a computer and familiar with word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Working knowledge of MicroStation.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to write letters, documents and other texts in a clear and authoritative manner.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment is open until filled and the next application review date is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Wednesday, May 24, 2023.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
For questions, call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov