Oregon Department of Transportation
Engineering Specialist 3 – Laboratory Lead Technician – Construction
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Statewide Project Delivery Branch
Construction Section / Laboratory Services Unit
Salary Range: $4,103 – $6,364
Our Central Materials Laboratory is responsible for providing statewide support to construction and maintenance programs. Apply today to be a laboratory lead technician in the Statewide Project Delivery Branch’s Construction Section!
The goal of this recruitment is to fill this position at an engineering specialist 3 level. However, we encourage candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for an engineering specialist 2 ($3,721 – $5,775) to apply, as we may consider underfilling the position until the selected candidate meets the minimum qualifications for an engineering specialist 3. Underfill training will not exceed three years.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
A day in the life:
· Perform physical testing of aggregates, bituminous mixtures, petroleum and soils.
· Analyze and evaluate test data to determine compliance to specifications.
· Recommend acceptance or rejection of construction materials.
· Provide technical assistance to internal and external customers.
· Provide coordination of crew work assignments and schedules.
· Train and lead other crew members.
· Maintain and clean equipment and work areas.
· Work in laboratory office and laboratory environments – use computer equipment in office environment.
· Laboratory environment includes daily contact with dust, noise, hot materials, chemicals and solvent fumes.
· Repeated lifting of testing equipment or material samples weighing 20 to 60 pounds required.
· Potential exposure to nuclear radiation through the asphalt nuclear gauge.
· Occasional in-state travel may be required to construction projects or field labs.
To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
Live, work and play in Salem, Oregon!
What we need for the engineering specialist 3:
Five and one-half years (66 months) of sub-professional engineering experience.
An associate’s degree in engineering technology from a recognized community college or technical school of engineering and four years of experience directly related to engineering.
An equivalent combination of education and experience (such as a bachelor’s degree in engineering plus two and one-half years’ engineering experience).
What we need for the engineering specialist 2 underfill option:
Three and one-half years (42 months) of sub-professional engineering experience.
An associate’s degree in engineering technology from a community college or technical school of engineering and two years of experience directly related to engineering.
An equivalent combination of education and experience (such as a bachelor’s degree in engineering plus six months’ engineering experience).
Note: If you are currently a transportation maintenance specialist 2 (TMS2) or have been one in the past, in addition to your completed application, please attach section three of your TMS2 position description to receive full credit for your related work. If your experience includes work in multiple maintenance disciplines (e.g. highway, sign, bridge, striping or landscape) please attach section three of the position description for each of the relevant disciplines.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
· Experience or formal training performing materials testing.
· Experience with engineering practices, policies, guidelines, and construction practices.
· Experience applying technical manuals, specifications, contract plans, and other guidelines.
· Experience training, providing technical guidance, and assigning and reviewing the work of others.
· Formal education in civil engineering or a related field.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, December 12, 2022.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov