Oregon Department of Transportation
Initial Posting Date:
Department of Transportation
8,009.00 – 13,999.00
State Bridge Engineer
Principal Executive/Manager G – State Bridge Engineer
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Engineering & Technical Services Branch
Bridge Engineering Section
We are recruiting for our state bridge engineer! In this leadership role, you will manage our Bridge Engineering Section and be responsible for the policy and standards, health and competency of the structural engineering discipline at our agency, support of emergency response related to structures, compliance with standards, statewide bridge design, work plan and section budget. Our Bridge Engineering Section design advice and consultation, construction, inspection and maintenance activities support a multi-million dollar construction budget, including major bridge maintenance. Apply today!
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
- Provide oversight and leadership in establishing, implementing and maintaining engineering and technical standards and practices.
- Lead and support improvements and innovation in how work is performed.
- Develop the quality control/quality assurance minimum requirements for bridge engineering disciplines and ensure an effective and efficient program.
- Resolve major design and engineering issues resulting from conflicting standards, needs, public desires and technical limitations.
- Develop and implement goals and objectives to guide the strategic direction of the Bridge Engineering Section.
- Manage the section through the four unit managers by providing progressive leadership, clear direction, effective coaching, performance evaluations and feedback.
- Establish and monitor the section’s annual budget, staffing, resourcing, work plans and performance measures.
Represent the branch on statewide teams and groups.
- Ensure statewide program funds are administered and expended in accordance with program requirements.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with other business lines, divisions and partners.
- Assist in communications with legislators, local agency officials, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), professional organizations and other stakeholders.
- Hybrid remote work options available! Work in an office environment with occasional travel required.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, hybrid remote work options, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
- Live, work and play in Salem, Oregon!
Want to know about new job postings? Click here to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
A valid professional engineer’s (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration within six months of hire.
Six years of management experience in a public or private organization, which included responsibility for each of the following:
a) Development of program rules and policies,
b) Development of long- and short-range goals and plans,
c) Program evaluation, and
d) Budget preparation.
In your attached resume, you must clearly describe your experience in each of the a), b), c), d) areas listed. Failure to provide this information may result in eliminating your application from further consideration.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- A thorough knowledge of and extensive experience in bridge engineering including experience in a supervisory management role in the civil or bridge engineering disciplines, with a demonstrated ability to lead and manage a large, diversified staff and to give responsible, professional direction and advice.
- Experience with project development processes demonstrating knowledge of:
- The engineering and technical standards impacts related to meeting scope-schedule-budget targets.
- Oregon state, county and local government operations that affect transportation development, delivery and operations.
- Demonstrated commitment to planning, developing and constructing of environmentally sensitive, multi- and inter-modal transportation systems.
- Proven ability to interpret and communicate organizational policies and initiatives and to lead staff in implementation of changes.
- Innovative, forward thinker with a track record of exploring new technology and ways of accomplishing work within limited resource availability.
- Excellent communicator and coalition builder with the ability to manage the conflicting priorities of diverse stakeholders.
How to apply:
- Before applying, click here to visit our applicant information website to learn more about our process.
- Complete the following required steps:
- Attach a resume. Your resume must include dates (MM/YYYY) for each employer. Please contact the recruiter under the ‘Need help?’ section if you have any questions about how to attach a document.
- Attach a cover letter. Your cover letter should clearly demonstrate how your experience and training relates to the qualities that you have under the “what we’d like to see” section above.
- Your cover letter must be limited to no more than two (2) pages.
- Please address your cover letter to Michael Kimlinger, PE, Interim Chief Engineer.
- Generic cover letters and/or cover letters that do not address the qualities that you have under the “what we’d like to see” section may receive lower scores than those that addressed the desired qualities.
- If you are an external applicant, you must upload your cover letter in the ‘Resume/CV’ section of the application.
- Complete questionnaire. Answer the checkbox-style questions before submitting your application.
- After you submit your application, please respond to the public records request authorization and gender identity questionnaire. This screen will come after you submit and will complete the process. If you are an employee, the tasks will come to your Workday inbox.
- If you are a veteran, you may receive preference. Click here for more information about veterans’ preference. The task to claim preference will come after the public records request and gender identity questionnaire tasks. Click here for a guide on how to upload your documents. For privacy reasons, please do not attach your DD214/DD215/civil service preference letter to your application or combine it with any other required document attachments.
- For questions, call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
The fine print:
- Management positions are currently being reviewed and revised by the DAS Chief Human Resources Office. Dependent on their review, the classification for this position may change.
- We may also use other factors to help us decide who will move forward, such as transferable skills, experience, education, and alignment with ODOT values.
- We do not offer visa sponsorship. If you are hired, you will be required to fill out the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming you are able to work in the US.
- Don’t attach extra documents. We will only look at documents that we ask for.
- The posted salary includes additional compensation due to recent market analysis.
We may use this recruitment to fill multiple or future vacancies.
- We will conduct name-based criminal background checks on final candidates, including current ODOT employees. All applicants may be subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System), and/or education verification as required for the position.
- You will become part of the state’s management team.
Close Date: 07/21/22
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on 07/21/22.
Click here to learn more and apply! Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12
355 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-3871
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other class protected by state or federal laws in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices. Applicants with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. For questions, concerns, or complaints regarding EEO/AA/ADA, contact 1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT). This information can be made available in an alternative format by contacting ODOT Recruitment at 503-986-3700. Oregon Relay Service can be reached by calling 7-1-1.
To apply for this job email your details to ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov