Oregon Department of Transportation
Initial Posting Date:
Department of Transportation
$9,050 – $14,000
State Construction & Materials Engineer
Engineering Administrator 1 – State Construction & Materials Engineer
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Statewide Project Delivery Branch
Join the Statewide Project Delivery Branch as the state construction & materials engineer! In this role, you will provide statewide leadership for ODOT’s Construction Program. You will manage our Construction Section of more than 100 employees across six units that establishes policies, standards of practice, provides quality assurance and technical expertise to support the region construction offices and staff administering ODOT construction contracts. Apply today!
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
- Provide statewide leadership for our agency’s Construction Program.
- Provide technical support and program assistance to regional construction offices.
- Manage and oversee Contract Administration, Quality Assurance, Structural Services, Pavement Services and Lab Services Units.
- Develop and implement statewide construction policies and standards of practice.
- Provide statewide construction training and certification for agency staff, consultants and contractors.
- Provide controls and oversight related to construction contract change orders, increases in construction budgets and claims resolution.
- Ensure systems are in place to maintain records and documentation for agency construction projects.
- Serve as the primary agency point of contact for construction related issues with Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), Associated General Contractors (AGC) and other key industry partners and stakeholders.
- Serve on national and regional materials and construction committees.
- Ensure offices are resourced appropriately, maintaining competency and outsourcing activities to be able to deliver the construction program.
- Review proposed legislation on construction related issues, prepare testimony, make recommendations and occasionally testify to the legislature.
- Part-time hybrid work options available! Work in an office environment with occasional field work required.
- Field work may involve exposure to highway traffic, highway construction conditions (including high structural work) and all weather conditions.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, hybrid work options, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
Live, work and play in Salem, Oregon!
Want to know about new job postings? Click here to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
A valid professional engineer’s (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration within six months of hire.
Five years of management experience;
Two years of management experience and a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Strong communication skills, being a good listener and speaking effectively in both one on one and large group settings.
- Ability to develop and build partnerships internally with regions and key business partners and externally with industry trade groups and associations.
- Ability to implement effective and efficient conflict resolution.
- Knowledge, experience and background with administering construction contracts.
- Background and experience managing diverse teams.
- Experience successfully implementing a new policy or program that affects an organization.
How to apply:
Before applying, click here to visit our applicant information website to learn more about our process.
For questions, call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
The fine print:
- We may also use other factors to help us decide who will move forward, such as transferable skills, experience, education, and alignment with ODOT values.
- We do not offer visa sponsorship. If you are hired, you will be required to fill out the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming you are able to work in the US. We are not an E-Verify participating employer.
- Don’t attach extra documents. We will only look at documents that we ask for.
- Management positions are currently being reviewed and revised by the DAS Chief Human Resources Office.
- Based on their review, the classification for this position was recently changed to engineering administrator 1.
- We may use this recruitment to fill multiple or future vacancies.
- We will conduct name-based criminal background checks on final candidates, including current ODOT employees. All applicants may be subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System), and/or education verification as required for the position.
- You will become part of the state’s management team.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on 8/15/22.
Click here to learn more and apply! Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov