Oregon Department of Transportation
Professional Engineer 2 – Lead Senior Designer
Oregon Department of Transportation
Interstate Bridge Replacement Program
Salary Range: $7,015 – $10,883
Apply today to join the Interstate Bridge Replacement Program (IBR) team as a lead senior designer! In this role, you will be an expert designer on our team, providing design oversight and consultation on the transportation elements of the program, through the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and contract development stage of the program. Apply today!
IBR is a multimodal mega program jointly led by the State of Oregon and the State of Washington to address regional safety and mobility problems facing the I-5 highway system crossing over the Columbia River between Portland, Oregon and Vancouver, Washington. We are working with the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) to develop solutions for seismic resiliency, safety improvements, congestion reduction, reliable transit, active transportation and reliable movement of freight.
The person in this position will be a State of Oregon employee. This position is based in Portland, Oregon, and the work location will be at our joint office in Vancouver, Washington.
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
A day in the life:
- Oversee design and preparations of the roadway portions of plans and estimates for the Interstate Bridge Replacement Program.
- Participate on program teams and serve as a consultant to management on statewide committees.
- Design with an equity lens across all elements of the program to ensure equity in process and design outcomes.
- Approach design and program impacts with a climate lens to reduce transportation greenhouse gas emissions and design infrastructure that can withstand future climate events.
- Assist the deputy design manager by assigning and reviewing work to meet project milestones or guiding a team of engineers on projects.
- Review and recommend approval, revision, or denial of submitted design exception letters to the deputy design manager.
- Review or assign the review of consultant plans for compliance with design standards for various roadway features.
- Review plans for compliance with design standards and serve as the engineer of record on projects.
- Develop and revise interchange designs.
- As an agency expert in an area of engineering specializations, provide documentation and testimony as an expert witness for the agency or as requested.
Work is performed indoors and outdoors with hybrid work options available. The successful candidate may be required to work from the project office 2-3 days a week. Frequency of remote working days will be determined between the hiring manager and the successful candidate at the time of hire.
- Travel required between ODOT and WSDOT projects and offices as needed; occasional overnight travel may be necessary.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more.
What we need:
A valid professional engineer’s (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering AND three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience.
Note: Three (3) years of journey level professional engineer experience is considered licensed experience only. If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain professional registration in Oregon within six months of hire.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Experience working on roadway and highway design.
- Experience with developing final plan sets (PS&E) and coordinating with construction.
- Experience working with travel demand modeling and traffic modeling.
- Willing to be a team player on a multi-discipline, multi-agency program and be able to coordinate between various teams and agencies.
- Have the drive and flexibility to work and lead tasks on a fast-paced and high-profile program.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment is open until filled and the next application review date is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Tuesday, May 30, 2023.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
For questions, call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to odotrecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov