Oregon Department of Transportation
Civil Engineering Specialist 1 – Senior Project Inspector
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division
Region 3 – White City Construction
Apply today to be a senior project inspector! In this role, you will provide engineering assistance to help administer highway construction projects. Not only will you play an important part in planning and carrying out assignments such as surveying, inspection and contract administration, but you’ll also help prioritize safety for crews and the traveling public.
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
A day in the life:
- Coordinate inspection activities on construction projects to meet the needs of the contractor’s work schedule.
- Assign and review inspection activities of staff assigned to projects.
- Act as a coach, mentor and resource for other inspectors, surveyors and material testers.
- Provide general oversight to assure contractor and disadvantaged business enterprise subcontractors meet requirements.
- Prepare or direct preparation of quality test summary book, supporting documentation notebooks and installation notebooks.
- Review and recommend any alterations or changes of contract plans and specifications.
- Attend various meetings related to the project and interact with stakeholders to facilitate the best possible designs for improvements to the transportation system.
- Initiate, negotiate and draft proposed contract change orders.
- Work is performed in and around construction equipment and in an office environment at a desk, drafting table or computer center.
- Occasional travel, after hours work and exposure to rough terrain, traffic and inclement weather is required.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
- Live, work and play in White City, Oregon!
What we need:
Four (4) years of para-professional engineering or surveying experience. One (1) year of this experience must have been working independently or as a senior member of a team or work group;
An associate’s degree in engineering technology or surveying from a recognized community college or technical school of engineering and two and one-half years (2.5) of engineering or surveying experience. One (1) year of this experience must have been working independently or as a senior member of a team or work group;
A bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, surveying, or transportation-related engineering and one (1) year civil engineering or surveying experience;
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Experience in construction inspection and contract administration.
- Experience applying knowledge of mathematics, survey principles, engineering and construction practices and procedures.
- Experience interpreting construction plans and specifications.
Learn more and apply:
Our first application screening is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Thursday, June 1, 2023. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 503-910-6372 or email ODOTRecruitmentCC@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this job email your details to ODOTRecruitmentCC@odot.oregon.gov