Oregon Department of Transportation
Initial Posting Date:
Department of Transportation
$5,878 – $9,119
Assistant Resident Engineer
Professional Engineer 1– Assistant Resident Engineer
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery and Operations Division – Region 3
District 8/White City Construction
Join the White City construction crew as an assistant resident engineer! In this position you will assist the resident engineer in overseeing, managing, providing technical advice and solutions. You will also oversee the administration of field construction projects. Apply today!
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
- Provide input to the resident engineer on crew assignments and make adjustments independently.
- Assist in coordinating highway project construction contract field administration.
- Review and recommend changes to plans and specifications.
- Negotiate and draft change orders.
- Communicate and attend regular meetings with construction contractors.
- Support the resident engineer in the workforce planning and management, recruitment, retention and training of the crew
- Recommend acceptance or rejection of contract work per established standards and contract documents.
- Prepare and recommend project budgets.
- Work is performed in both an office environment and in the field.
- Field work involves frequent exposure to hazards of traffic and construction equipment.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
- Live, work and play in White City, Oregon!
Want to know about new job postings? Click here to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
- A valid professional engineer’s (PE) license in civil, structural, or transportation-related engineering.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain comity within six months of hire.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Ability to contribute to a positive and productive work environment.
- A working knowledge of mathematics, land surveying methods and construction procedures and practices.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional and collaborative working relationships.
- Capacity to work overtime or odd shifts.
How to apply:
- Before applying, click here to visit our applicant information website to learn more about our process.
- Complete the following required steps:
- Fill out the application. We will not accept a position description or attached resume in place of a completed application.
- Complete questionnaire. Answer the checkbox-style questions before submitting your application.
- After you submit your application, please respond to the public records request authorization and gender identity questionnaire. This screen will come after you submit and will complete the process. If you are an employee, the tasks will come to your Workday inbox.
- If you are a veteran, you may receive preference. Click here for more information about veterans’ preference. The task to claim preference will come after the public records request and gender identity questionnaire tasks. Click here for a guide on how to upload your documents. For privacy reasons, please do not attach your DD214/DD215/civil service preference letter to your application or combine it with any other required document attachments.
For questions, call 503-910-6372 or email ODOTRecruitmentCC@odot.oregon.gov.
The fine print:
- We may also use other factors to help us decide who will move forward, such as transferable skills, experience, education, and alignment with ODOT values.
- We do not offer visa sponsorship. If you are hired, you will be required to fill out the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming you are able to work in the US. We are not an E-Verify participating employer.
- Don’t attach extra documents. We will only look at documents that we ask for.
- We may use this recruitment to fill multiple or future vacancies.
- We will conduct name-based criminal background checks on final candidates, including current ODOT employees. All applicants may be subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System), and/or education verification as required for the position.
- You will be represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12
355 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-3871
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other class protected by state or federal laws in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices. Applicants with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. For questions, concerns, or complaints regarding EEO/AA/ADA, contact 1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT). This information can be made available in an alternative format by contacting ODOT Recruitment at 503-986-3700. Oregon Relay Service can be reached by calling 7-1-1.
To apply for this job email your details to ODOTRecruitmentCC@odot.oregon.gov