Job ID: 18215
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Operations
Salary: $72,411.84 – $79,782.48 annually, depending on experience
Pay Grade: EM1
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information on the Department of Transportation, please visit https://dot.sd.gov/.
This position works in the Rapid City Region Office as the Traffic Engineer for the Region. The Traffic Engineer serves as the main technical expert regarding Department of Transportation (DOT) traffic engineering issues for the western third of South Dakota.
Duties of the position include:
– works with the public, government officials, and law enforcement on traffic engineering issues;
– responds to requests from business entities regarding signing programs such as billboards, tourist-oriented directional signs (TODS), and LOGO’s;
– interprets and takes action on data collected in traffic engineering studies, such as vehicle and pedestrian counts, speed studies, ball banking, and sign inventories;
– interprets technical documents, such as the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), and State Administrative Rules;
– manages and makes minor timing adjustments to state-owned traffic signals;
– supervises a staff of ten individuals, including seven highway maintenance staff, two traffic technicians, and one engineer. The staff completes many duties, some of which include signing and striping for highways, traffic signal maintenance, plans preparation for signing, striping, and signal projects, traffic studies, administration of signing programs and rest area maintenance contracts, and all duties associated with management of highway traffic during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Only applicants with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field will be considered. Candidates that are self-motivated, well-organized person with several years of experience in the traffic engineering field are preferred. Due to the amount of interaction with internal and external customers a positive demeanor and good communication skills are critical.
– Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), State Administrative Rules, and policies with regard to traffic engineering issues;
– experience in highway construction is desirable.
– have strong computer, organizational, record keeping, and communication skills.
– critically analyze traffic data and render decisions based on interpretation of technical documents;
– develop and maintain positive working relationships;
– supervise staff.
Join the South Dakota Department of Transportation! View more about this opportunity here: https://youtu.be/WdCQix5wB8A.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Must apply online: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=GN8
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com