Location: Newington, CT
Date Opened: 1/25/2024 12:00:00 AM
Salary: $70,857 – $114,967*/year (*Max of the Target Level for Transportation Engineer 2. See Below)
Job Type: Open to the Public
Close Date: 2/22/2024 11:59:00 PM
Interested in being part of a team designing improvements on Connecticut’s highway system and having a positive effect on safety and traffic operation in local communities? If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you!
Current students who will be graduating with a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering by the end of May 2024 are strongly encouraged to apply!
ABOUT THE ROLE
The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) is now accepting applications for Highway Design Engineer Trainees within the State Design Unit in the Division of Highway Design at our Newington Headquarters. The official State job classification is Transportation Engineer Trainee.
In the DIVISION OF HIGHWAY DESIGN engineers have the challenge to not only improve Connecticut’s transportation system to meet operational and safety needs, but also to balance improvements against environmental, historic, cultural, community, aesthetic, and economic impacts.
Engineers in the Division of Highway Design provide lead services in the development of projects that improve the safety, capacity, and efficiency of the State’s transportation system and find solutions to challenging roadway and multi-modal improvement problems.
The State Design Unit consists of in-house highway design engineers who provide lead or support services in the development of capital projects. They develop design alternatives into contract plans, specifications, and construction estimates, provide technical guidance on elements such as roadway geometry, roadside safety, and highway drainage, and they also coordinate roadway improvements with stakeholders such as municipal leaders, neighborhood groups, businesses, and homeowners.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Competitive starting salary
- A Platinum Healthcare Plan, the nation’s best for state employees and dependents, according to a report by Georgetown’s Center on Health Insurance Reform an article by Ellen Andrews, Ph.D., along with comprehensive benefit offerings
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Paid time off including 13 paid holidays per calendar year
- A culture that encourages work-life balance
- Professional growth and development opportunities
- On-site low-cost fitness center, on-site cafeteria and Electric Vehicle (EV) charging
- Ample free parking with easy access from major highways or by public transportation
- Tuition reimbursement
- Work for a Forbes top company – ‘Forbes’: State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 – State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule
- State of Connecticut is an eligible Public Service Loan Forgiveness employer, meaning you may be eligible to have qualifying student loans forgiven after 10 years of service. Click here for more information.
- Work for Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers (CSCE’s) Employer of the Year
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
- Monday through Friday
- First shift
- Location: Newington, CT
- Hybrid (office/telework) may be available
Applicants must be available to travel for training, conferences, meetings, field reviews, etc. both within and outside of normal working hours, when necessary. A valid motor vehicle operator’s license is required and must be maintained. Please list your Driver’s license number, expiration date, and issuing State, Engineer in Training license number (if applicable) and any other job-relevant licenses or certifications you hold, in the Licenses and Professional Certifications section of your application.
DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO
- Recommend and implement effective solutions
- Contribute to providing a safe and efficient transportation system
- Implement bicycle and pedestrian improvements along highways
- Work with community groups and elected officials
- Utilize computer software to design roadway elements
- Showcase your oral, written, organizational, and interpersonal skills
Transportation Engineer Trainees receive training to develop technical engineering skills and knowledge. After successfully completing your one-year training program, you will be promoted to the target class of Transportation Engineer 1 (Engineering). The target class has a minimum qualification of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and one (1) year of experience in transportation engineering or transportation construction engineering. After successfully completing two years as a Transportation Engineer 1, you will be promoted to Transportation Engineer 2 (Engineering).
- Transportation Engineer Trainee: $70,857/annually
- After successful completion of a one (1) year training program, you will be promoted to Transportation Engineer 1 (Engineering): $79,070-$97,241/annually
- After successful completion of two (2) years as a Transportation Engineer 1, you will be promoted to Transportation Engineer 2 (Engineering): $89,018-$114,967/annually
The mission of the DOT is to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and region. Learn more about our mission, vision, and values here!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location or shift.
- In order to receive educational credits toward qualification for this job posting, the institution must be accredited. If the institution of higher learning is located outside of the U.S., you are responsible for providing documentation from a recognized USA accrediting service which specializes in determining foreign education equivalencies to the Talent Acquisition Professional listed on this job posting.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
- Please read or watch our Applicant Tips on How to Apply.
Important Information After You Apply:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting’s closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire’s expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user’s spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Frank DeCusati at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for receiving training in introductory professional engineering work for the development of technical and professional transportation engineering and transportation construction engineering skills and knowledge in order to qualify for advancement in the field of transportation engineering.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Highway Design Engineer Trainees work as part of an engineering team responsible for the development of projects that improve the safety, capacity, and efficiency of the State’s transportation system and find solutions to challenging roadway and multi-modal improvement problems. The State Design Unit consists of in-house highway design engineers who provide lead or support services in the development of capital projects such as intersection improvements, modern roundabouts, multi-use trails, corridor improvements, complete street upgrades, bridge replacements, and more.
In this role you will receive training to perform the following duties:
- Develop three-dimensional roadway models using CAD software
- Develop and analyze multiple design alternatives for transportation improvement projects
- Prepare design plans, profiles, cross sections, and design details for State projects
- Analyze and design complex stormwater drainage systems
- Develop project designs that incorporate multi-modal facilities to address the needs of drivers, bicyclists, pedestrians, and transit users
- Design roadside safety elements including guiderail and concrete barrier
- Engage in stakeholder outreach with municipal leaders, neighborhood groups, businesses, homeowners, and the traveling public
- Develop plans and supporting documentation for environmental permits
- Coordinate with utility companies to determine potential conflicts and relocations if necessary
- Coordinate with other Department units
- Conduct field meetings and site investigations
- Other duties as required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Knowledge of basic transportation engineering theories, principles and methods;
- Skill in use of drafting and calculating instruments and other computer applications;
- Considerable ability in performing mathematical computations, making neat and accurate drawings and preparing minor design and structural details.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Possession of a Bachelor’s degree.
NOTE: If the target job classification has a Minimum Qualification that requires specific licensure and/or the Bachelor’s degree to be in a specific area(s), then these specific licensures and degree areas are required for appointment to the Transportation Engineer Trainee classification. Candidates cannot be appointed until all degree requirements are complete.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- Possession of Professional Engineer (PE) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the General Experience requirement.
- Possession of Engineer-In-Training (EIT) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the General Experience requirement.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering by May 2024 from an accredited college or university
- Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam
- 3.0 or higher grade-point average in relevant engineering and math courses
- Experience utilizing computer software such as MicroStation or OpenRoads or other similar CAD software
- Experience with presentation skills and oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge and/or experience with CTDOT Standard Specifications and CTDOT Design Manuals
- Experience using Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Project and Microsoft Access
- Experience efficiently managing assignments
- Education or experience with interpreting construction plans and specifications
- Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some risk of injury or physical harm from highway, construction site, or on-site environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from year-round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com