State of Connecticut Department of Transportation
The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) is seeking qualified candidates to apply for the position of Transportation Planner 2 in the Bureau of Public Transportation, Office of Transit and Ridesharing, Contract Management Unit!
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Comprehensive benefit offerings
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage
- Competitive starting salary and structure
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Paid time off
- Professional growth and development opportunities
- Culture that encourages work-life balance
- Hybrid telework schedules available
- On-site low-cost fitness center & cafeteria
- Electric Vehicle (EV) charging at our headquarters
Ample free parking with easy access from major highways or by public transportation
The Office of Transit & Ridesharing, Contract Management Unit is directly involved in the operation of the statewide multimodal transit network including 8 divisions of the CTtransit state-owned bus system and CTfastrak – an Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) Silver Standard Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system. In addition, we manage contracts for service provision with all transit service providers and Connecticut Transit Districts.
In this role, you will be involved in programs with statewide or regional impact and make decisions based on many variables which directly impact the outcome of the program or project. Responsibilities will include: oversight of compliance with federal and state funding regulations, oversight of contractor and transit district performance on metrics, scope and budget development, and invoicing and development of mid- and long-range capital plans.
Areas of focus for the position could also include: activities related to the providers of CTtransit local, express and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) service, the provision of ADA service by Transit Districts, and the development and execution of agreements for the office, management and coordination of the Park & Ride Program and related assets and leases and/or support of activities related to procurement.
- Full-time (40 hours per week)
- Monday – Friday
- First shift
- Centrally located in Newington, CT, with some remote work possible
WHO WE ARE
The CTDOT is a state agency committed to ensuring the safety and accessibility of transportation networks. The CTDOT provides planning, design, and construction services, and implements motor vehicle laws and regulations in aim to maintain the state’s transportation infrastructure and coordinates transportation-related programs and services, such as public transit and highway safety.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location or shift.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
Please visit our “Applicant Tips on How to Apply” page.
Important Information After You Apply:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting’s closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire’s expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user’s spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Frank DeCusati at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-713-5176.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for acting as a working lead and/or for performing the most complex tasks in transportation planning studies, programs and related activities.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
WORKING LEAD LEVEL: As assigned by a supervisor distributes, prioritizes, oversees and reviews office unit work; provides staff training and assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; acts as liaison with operating units, agencies, consultant staffs and other outside officials regarding unit office policies and standards; prepares correspondence; performs related duties as required.
ADVANCED LEVEL: Performs complex tasks and assignments in developing, coordinating and reviewing transportation planning programs; recommends, coordinates or participates in transportation demonstration projects; participates in preparation and negotiation of agreements and contracts; oversees and participates in corridor studies; prepares and reviews reports, studies and surveys in compliance with department standards and needs and state and federal laws and regulations; coordinates activities or projects with local, regional, state and federal agencies, consultants and stakeholders as required; reviews consultants’ work; investigates and responds to public inquiries and complaints regarding transportation plans, programs and/or projects; may make presentations at legislative or public hearings; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of multi-modal transportation planning theory, practices and methodologies; knowledge of environmental considerations involved in transportation planning; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to develop and use computer software including planning models and other programs related to planning process; analytical ability; ability to forecast trends based upon empirical data; ability to comprehend and interpret laws and regulations; some lead ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of professional experience in transportation civil engineering or transportation, urban, regional or environmental planning.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must include individual responsibility for the coordination of complex planning projects in a relevant planning area.
Note: For State Employees this is interpreted at the level of Transportation Planner 1 or Transportation Engineer 2.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor’s degree.
- A Master’s degree in civil engineering, transportation, urban, regional or environmental planning may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience with bus service planning and bus operations
- Experience with budget development or contract negotiation
- Experience interacting with governmental and non-governmental stakeholders
- Experience with the application of state and federal rules and requirements
- Experience with data analysis
- Experience with governmental procurement and agreement process
- Experience communicating in writing and verbally to diverse populations and with a diverse group of public transportation stakeholders
- Experience prioritizing work and meeting time sensitive deadlines
- Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com