State of Connecticut Department of Transportation
Do you want to be part of a great team of Engineer professionals who are shaping the future of transportation in Connecticut? If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you!
The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) is now accepting applications for multiple Transportation Engineer Technician Trainee positions in the Survey Unit of the District 2 Office of Surveys, located in Norwich, CT. The District 2 Surveys Unit manages and directs all field and office survey operations for the district and provides support to Design Units and on-going construction projects.
Current students who will be graduating with an Associate’s degree in Engineering Technology or Construction Technology by the end of May 2023 are strongly encouraged to apply!
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Comprehensive benefit offerings
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Paid time off
- Professional growth and paid professional development opportunities
- A healthy work-life balance to all employees!
At DOT, our mission is to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region. Learn more about our mission, vision, and values, here!
Transportation Engineer Technician Trainees are eligible for promotion to the target class of Transportation Engineer Technician after successful completion of the one (1) year training program.
DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO
- Independently perform a full range of survey duties in support of transportation construction engineering projects, including operating and maintaining survey equipment
- Collect field data
- Lay out project limits
- Create charts, maps, and plotting profiles
- Calculate areas and volumes
- Prepare reports
- Perform related duties as required
- Monday – Friday
- Full-time (40 hours per week)
- First shift
- Location: On-site in Survey Unit, District 2, in Norwich, CT
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location or shift.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
Please visit our “Applicant Tips on How to Apply” page.
Important Information After You Apply:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting’s closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire’s expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user’s spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Frank DeCusati at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-713-5176.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation, this class is accountable for receiving on-the-job training in performing basic technical engineering work for the development of knowledge and skills to qualify for advancement in the field of construction engineering, surveying and materials testing.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a wide variety of increasingly difficult duties as technical skills are acquired during course of training period.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
General knowledge of basic construction engineering theories, principles and methods; skill in use of drafting and calculating instruments and computer applications; considerable ability in performing mathematical computations; ability to prepare accurate drawings.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – GENERAL EXPERIENCE
An Associate’s degree in Engineering Technology or Construction Technology.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Possession of at least Level II certification in the Civil Engineering Technology-Transportation Program, Highway Construction Inspection or Highway Surveys from the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET) may be substituted for the General Experience.
- Experience working with arithmetic, geometry, and trigonometry in work or academic scenarios
- Experience with highway and construction surveying
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Computer-Aided Drafting and Design (CADD), and Geographic Information System (GIS)
- Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some danger of injury or physical harm from highway or construction environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from exposure to year round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com