State of Nebraska Department of Transportation
Project Scoping Unit Head
PERM FULL TIME
Department of Transportation
As part of the Project Scoping Unit, you will have the unique opportunity to scope almost every project in the state highway transportation program and visualize all phases and possible impacts of a project prior to the start of design work.
Use our new quick apply process! Just attach your resume when prompted. No resume? Use the text box provided to tell us about your experience and qualifications.
Examples of Work
• Oversee the development of the NDOT-73 Planning Document, Estimate and other scoping documents by supporting staff, maintaining knowledge of active projects, their issues and status.
• Appoint assignments to staff and consultants.
• Track active projects going through the planning process and those about to enter it to ensure deliverables of the unit are being made on schedule.
• Manage the inputs into the planning process from other divisions to maintain projects on schedule.
• Track input needs and help communicate priorities to other divisions.
• Review planning documents to ensure projects scopes solve the transportation need, are consistent, reasonable, fiscally responsible, meet standards, and serve the Departments goals and mission.
• Identify preliminary survey needs based on project scopes.
• Coordinate with each District’s Survey Coordinator to assess workload to complete survey on time.
• Develop scope of services and fee proposals for on-call survey consultants when necessary.
• Review and approve invoices.
• Coordinate with survey personnel to ensure survey control is established prior to preliminary ground survey commencing.
• Actively participate on projects focused on enhancing newly implemented software utilized by Project Scoping Unit (AASHTOWARE Estimation, New OnBase Workflow for DR-73 Planning Document, etc.).
• Other miscellaneous assignments assigned by the Section Head that supports the goals and mission of the Division and Agency.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline and experience performing professional level engineering assignments in those specific fields applicable to the functions assigned to the position. Must possess a Professional Engineer (P.E.) license at the time of application, and be licensed by the Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects at time of employment or be able to obtain such license within 90 days of employment.
PREFERRED: Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering. One year supervisory experience. Three years Roadway design and/or highway construction experience. Experience in project coordination and scheduling, to include strong organizational skills. Experience with NEPA requirements and conducting engineering studies.
OTHER: Travel to conduct site visits will be required on occasion. Overnight travel may be required depending on project site location.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of Nebraska Board of Public Roads Classifications and Standards Minimum Design Standards, AASHTO Design Policy, ADA Accessibility guidelines, Nebraska Standard Specifications for Highway Construction, State and Federal regulations, policies, and guidelines applicable to highway projects, general transportation related engineering, design, and construction principles such as surveys, drainage design, geometrics, roads, bridges, and culverts.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in written form, with individuals throughout the different levels of the Department and the public.
• Able to facilitate effective meetings and/or discussions that resolve project uncertainties.
• Ability to read, understand and interpret project plans, specifications, agreements, and other contract documents.
• Must demonstrate the ability to build partnerships and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external partners.
NDOT encourages applicants of all ages and experience.
To be considered applicants must complete the online application process https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nebraska
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org