State of Nebraska Department of Transportation
Roadway Design Engineer
See Position Description
PERM FULL TIME
Department of Transportation
Join the Nebraska Department of Transportation (NDOT) Roadway Design team and help shape the future of the State of Nebraska’s transportation infrastructure! You’ll get the opportunity to design a variety of projects from maintenance to new construction, all while working with a variety of groups from environmental, to construction to local entities. You will gain valuable experience learning how NDOT takes projects from concept to construction and helps provide a safe and reliable transportation system to the traveling public.
At the Nebraska Department of Transportation, we reward our employee’s hard work with a friendly and supportive work environment and a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
• State-matched retirement contribution of 156%!
• 13 paid holidays
• Generous leave accruals that begin immediately
• A culture that embraces work-life balance
• Military leave
• Tuition reimbursement program
• Dependent tuition reimbursement program with partnering Nebraska community colleges
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) through the Federal government
• 79% employer paid health insurance plans
• Dental and vision insurance plans
• Employer-paid $20,000 life insurance policy
• Wide variety and availability of career advancement as the largest and most diverse employer in the State
• Opportunity to be part of meaningful work and make a difference through public service
• Training and development based on your career aspirations
• Job security and stability, even during times of economic hardship
• Employee Assistance Program
• Fun, inviting teammates
• Free parking
If unable to fill at the Professional Engineer I level ($29.716), will consider applicants at the Engineer level ($26.067). Applicants are required to have a Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline by start date but will consider applicants who will receive their Engineering degree within 120 days of the application date. FE Certificate is required or the ability to obtain one within one year of employment.
Please reach out to Katherine Ortiz, Talent Acquisition Partner, at 402-432-1266, if you have questions or to learn more.
Apply today using our new quick apply process! Just attach your resume when prompted. Please note that if you parse your resume at the beginning of the application process, you’ll still need to attach your resume at the end of the process.
Examples of Work
Under close supervision of a Professional Engineer, will assist in the design of roadway construction projects. Will be responsible for assisting in the review of work of a broad scope, complexity, and diversity.
• Participate in the design of various rural and urban highway construction projects including resurfacing and reconstruction projects assigned to the Roadway Design Division.
• Design various roadway features including horizontal alignment, vertical alignment, cross-sections, earthwork, guardrail and other features.
• Participate in design of erosion control features and implementation of environmental processes.
• Perform hydrologic/hydraulic analysis and design culverts and storm sewers.
• Draft roadway, culvert and storm sewer cross-section plans.
• Draft miscellaneous design details.
• Prepare preliminary and final construction project quantities and costs.
• Perform data collection, background research, note reduction, calculations, analysis and documentation of engineering related decisions.
• Participate in and document engineering decisions, write special provisions and keep project correspondence files accurate and up-to-date.
• Prepare for and participate in project related meetings and field inspections.
• Prepare project related documents and reports.
• Coordinate highway design projects within the division and department, including public service agencies such as cities, counties and utilities.
• May aid and assist other engineering personnel.
Qualifications / Requirements
Professional Engineer I:
Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline. Must possess a Professional Engineer (P.E.) license at the time of application and be licensed by the Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects at time of employment or be able to obtain such license within 90 days of employment.
Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline. Must obtain Engineer Intern Enrollment (Engineering in Training Certification) within one year of employment.
• Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Nebraska.
• Five years’ experience in roadway design and/or highway construction.
• Experience in project coordination and scheduling.
• Prior experience leading and/or assisting in the development of projects being prepared for a NEPA Environmental Impact Statement or Environmental Assessment.
• Experience communicating technical information and instructions to diverse groups including internal and external teammates at all levels, the public, and representatives of other governmental branches and jurisdictions.
• Engineering degrees must be from an EAC/ABET-accredited program (or evaluated by NCEES as equivalent).
• Requires occasional out of town overnight travel and working extended hours to meet deadlines.
• Valid driver’s license or ability to provide independent authorized transportation.
• Regular and reliable attendance is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint), Nebraska Department of Transportation (NDOT) standards, AASHTO’s – A Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets and NDOT Standard specifications for Highway Construction; basic engineering principles related to the design and construction of highway projects including engineering, surveying, hydrology, design standards and geometrics. Organizational, public relations, and quality verbal and written communication skills.
NDOT encourages applicants of all ages and experience.
To be considered applicants must complete the online application process
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org