Tennessee Department of Transportation
Salary: $120,000 per year
The Assistant Director of Project Management assists the State Project Management Director by providing oversight for projects and programs within the region. The position will be responsible for helping lead, support, and integrate the Project Management discipline into TDOT’s organizational structure and culture.
These are newly created positions that report to the State Project Management Director. We are filling a total of four positions, a position in each of TDOT’s regions. A position is available in each of the following cities: Knoxville, TN; Chattanooga, TN; Nashville, TN; Jackson, TN. Each position will serve as Assistant Director of the Project Management Division for that region.
- Manages leadership and direction for the Region’s Project Management Division.
- Oversees the Region’s Project Management Division program leads for various regional programs such as bridge, resurfacing, legislative, traffic technology, safety, and state industrial access.
- Assists the State Project Management Director in maintaining the Project Delivery Network (PDN) and Project Management Guide.
- Provides leadership and direction for regional program management leads in a matrix structure.
- Ensures compliance with applicable regulations and guidance for TDOT’s program management efforts, including the Project Management Guide.
- Interacts with Division Directors, Chief Engineer, Assistant Chief Engineers, Regional Directors, Community Relations, Bureau of Environment and Planning, Bureau of Administration and Commissioner’s Office to deliver programs and projects.
- Monitors regional trends for program schedule, budget, and scope. Reports findings and provides suggestions to the State Project Management Director.
- Collaborates with the State Project Management Director to develop performance metrics around primary project management tenets of scope, schedule, budget and quality.
- Responsible for developing training and serves as a mentor to the project managers within the Region’s Project Management Division.
For a more in-depth job description of this posting, please see the below link:
The minimum required knowledge, skill, and abilities to satisfactorily perform the job duties are acquired through graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering and ten (10) years of related transportation engineering and project management experience. At least five (5) years of supervisory experience and a Professional Engineering License is required.
Candidates should have a strong foundation in civil engineering, roadway design, construction administration, project funding and program management and possess an extensive understanding of transportation projects.
Qualified candidates should be able to demonstrate skills in communication, team building, delegation, decision-making, and time management.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate the ability to resolve conflicts, coach and motivate others, build high-performing teams, and create a culture of accountability, collaboration, and accomplishment.
Qualified candidates should also be familiar with human resource management related to hiring, training, mentoring, and discipline.
Application for the Assistant Director of Project Management requires completion and submission of the following two items:
1. Letter explaining applicant interest in the position.
2. Résumé that is a maximum of two (2) pages.
The two items should be emailed to TDOT.Careers@tn.gov by November 30, 2021.
To apply for this job email your details to TDOT.Careers@tn.gov