The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials
The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials is currently hiring a Laboratory Assessor, a full-time position located in our Frederick, MD office.
Nature of Position:
Laboratory Assessors participate in an extensive training period that lasts for approximately 1 year and are designated Laboratory Assessor Trainees up until the successful completion of the training period, at which point they are then eligible for promotion. Following completion of the training program, Laboratory Assessors perform independent on-site assessments of construction materials testing (CMT) laboratories.
During an assessment, assessors evaluate the technical capabilities of testing agencies and audit their quality management system for compliance to national standards. Laboratory Assessors travel independently approximately 120 days per year in 2–3-week periods, performing assessments in all fifty states, Guam, Puerto Rico, and Canada.
This is a full-time position that places a strong emphasis on the ability to work independently. When not traveling for assessments, Laboratory Assessors perform pre- and post-assessment activities, provide technical support to staff and customers, assist with internal and external training activities, and support other aspects of the program in meaningful ways.
A person who is successful as a Laboratory Assessor typically has the following traits:
- Enjoys traveling and has the desire and ability to travel alone extensively for several weeks at a time.
- Has a strong aptitude in math and science.
- Motivated as both a learner and a teacher.
- Strives for professional growth.
- Empathetic, patient, and encouraging.
- Enjoys making connections with others.
- Socially conscious and committed to acting with integrity.
- Inquisitive and adaptable.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, preferably in science (geology, environmental, chemistry, biology, etc.) or engineering (civil, mechanical, industrial, materials, or environmental).
- Strong verbal communication and technical writing abilities.
- Ability to work independently and remain self-motivated.
- Ability to travel independently at least 16 weeks per year.
- Obtain and maintain a valid state driver’s license to operate motor vehicles.
- Capable of driving at least 450 miles per day on occasion.
- Transport an assessment kit weighing approximately 15 pounds 1-2 times a day.
- Live within a reasonable commuting distance of our Frederick, Maryland office.
Who We Are:
AASHTO is a nonprofit, nonpartisan association representing transportation departments in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. We represent all transportation modes including: air, highways, public transportation, active transportation, rail, and water. Our goal is to foster the development, operation, and maintenance of an integrated national transportation system that is safe and efficient for every individual. We strive to educate the public and key decision makers about the critical role that transportation plays in securing a good quality of life and sound economy for our nation.
The culture displayed at AASHTO is one of inclusiveness. AASHTO fosters a supportive working environment for staff and focuses on both the professional and personal successes of employees. Additionally, employees benefit from a collective workplace that genuinely cares about them and what they do.
Perks and Benefits:
This positions would primarily report out of our Frederick, MD office when not on the road for travel. AASHTO offers employees hybrid work flexibilities and this role may be approved to work remotely up to 2-3 days per week.
Additionally, as a full-time employee, you are eligible for:
- A retirement plan with a highly competitive matching and contribution structure
- Comprehensive health insurance benefits, including life and long-term disability insurance
- Generous leave accrual, including vacation, sick, and floating holiday leave and federal holidays
- Flexible work schedules and telework options
- An Employee Assistance Program available 24/7 to all staff
How to Apply:
Candidates are encouraged to visit our website at http://aashtoresource.org/careers before applying. Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by Friday, July 7th.
AASHTO is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org